Mesa/Boogie 6L6GC STR440- is it a Ruby?

petejt

• Members

I talked to a regional rep and as expected he is not allowed to say exactly where they get their tubes. BUT, he did say Mesa rotates between the best batches at the 3 "main facilities" at LEAST every year. This means one year the tubes they put in their amps(and the ones they sell) will come from Shuguang Electrical Factory (China), and the next they could be from Reflector Corp in Saratov Russia (which would be where ALL Sovtek and Svetlana's come from with very few exceptions). I specifically asked him if they used JJ's (as this would be the 3rd major producer) recently to see what kind of response he would give me and he turned into the sound of silence. He simply would give no hints other than how often they change suppliers (which is very often). So no more of this re-brand by Ruby tube to re-re-brand by Mesa stuff 'mm k? Unless you work in Petaluma or your friend does there is no way of knowing exactly what tubes are in your amp or what the ones they send you are, unless you have Eric Johnson's ears (this is always the exception to the rule).

• Members

Well, Doug at Doug's tubes can't get Rubys rated for late distortion because (and this is straight from Doug who deals w/ Ruby tubes) Mesa is buying them all up.

Why would Mesa buy a BRANDED tube when they get the same tubes from the original manufacturer? Ruby is a "brand" not a tube. They have nothing unique to their company. This would be akin to Mesa buying from Groove, Fender, or anyone else that stamps a logo on a Shuguang, Reflector, or JJ. And as a side note Groove tubes are coming from JJ and re-branded. I don't know what percentage but this info is acknowledged by GT. That makes 2 distributed brand names for JJ (that I know of): Tesla and Groove. Anyone ever put a whole set of JJ's in a Rectifier? Wondering what that sounds like. Of course assuming the ones in my Roadster aren't already JJ's:facepalm: My perception in the conversation with the Mesa rep was that they are not currently using JJ's AS OF NOW.

• Members

Why would Mesa buy a BRANDED tube when they get the same tubes from the original manufacturer? Ruby is a "brand" not a tube. They have nothing unique to their company. This would be akin to Mesa buying from Groove, Fender, or anyone else that stamps a logo on a Shuguang, Reflector, or JJ. And as a side note Groove tubes are coming from JJ and re-branded. I don't know what percentage but this info is acknowledged by GT. That makes 2 distributed brand names for JJ (that I know of): Tesla and Groove. Anyone ever put a whole set of JJ's in a Rectifier? Wondering what that sounds like. Of course assuming the ones in my Roadster aren't already JJ's:facepalm: My perception in the conversation with the Mesa rep was that they are not currently using JJ's AS OF NOW.

Maybe what he was saying is that Ruby can't get him any late distortion 6L6GCSTRs 'cus they can't get any from the Shugang factory either. I'm sure there is more to the story than I got...

Archived