Jcm800

Jcm800_6550

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Hot Mod just plugs right in and you play. It's like having the amp modded with an added gain stage, but without the cost or taking away any value from your amp. The normal 12AX7 preamp tube has 2 sections to it, the tube they use in the Hot Mod is a tube with 3 sections. The only problem is the tubes can be noisy and good tubes are getting hard to find since they haven't made that type tube in years.
Jerry

• Members

DO NOT CHANGE THE TRANSFORMER! You wil gain nothing and lose a few hundred bucks.

Does it have 6550's like your name implies? I really like the Soldano Hot Mods in the JCM800's if you can find a quiet tube. The tubes they use are getting hard to find, good ones anyway.

Jerry

Have Jerry mod it for you.

• Members
Have Jerry mod it for you.

Jerry DE-modded mine and it sounds great! :thu:

Also, I think speakers make a big difference on these amps. I'm a BIG fan of greenbacks with them. I have cabs with G12H30s and V-30s and I prefer the greenbacks quite a bit.

• Members

I say leave it stock, sell it, and get a splawn, rocca, mako, soldano, or some other high gain marshall-esque amp. Modding the amp is going to kill the value, and ruin an incredible amp. If you're not happy with it stock, it's probably not the amp for you. Maybe I'm being selfish, but I hate it when people mod 800's, they just sound so good stock and there are so many great modded marshall type amps out there that you can get without ruining a classic. just my 2 cents.

• Members
I say leave it stock, sell it, and get a splawn, rocca, mako, soldano, or some other high gain marshall-esque amp. Modding the amp is going to kill the value, and ruin an incredible amp. If you're not happy with it stock, it's probably not the amp for you. Maybe I'm being selfish, but I hate it when people mod 800's, they just sound so good stock and there are so many great modded marshall type amps out there that you can get without ruining a classic. just my 2 cents.

:thu:

few modded marshalls ive ever heard end up sounding much like a marshall. mine was modded when i got it and to be frank, sounded like garbage.

• Members

I agree. Whatever you do, just don't drill any holes in the chasis.

• Members

Then why do so many people have hotrodded Marshalls, the real deal. So many people or techs mod Marshalls. A couple of tweaks isn't going to ruin the value if you can change it back pretty easily. If you plan on keeping the amp, why bother keeping it original for resale value? Even the simplest bright cap mod can be great.

• Members

You could chop up the chassis and add a couple more preamp tubes to the circuit.

OR

Do what I do. OD pedal for boost and/or EQ pedal. If you don't like the mod your screwed. If you don't like a certain OD boost just get another boost pedal.

I gotta try one of those hotmods someday.

• Members
OK, so i have 2 jcm800's both 1981's a 2203 and a 2204 , ive decided im going to turn the 2204 into a modded beast lol, what are some good mods for this amp? mercury trans? ect? anything will be greatly appreciated and if you have modded 800's that you proud of post them please, thanks guys

so in short what are some good jcm800 mods/ best mods

thanks guys:wave:

if you must do anything, which is highly debatable, check these out:

http://tone-lizard.com/Ultimate_JCM800.htm

it has some faily simple tweaks to add a little spice to a great amp.

• Members

Here's a little news for all you anti-mod guys. Where do you think the 2203 model came from? That model came from what guys were doing with the 1959 plexi. Had guys not modded their plexis you would have never had the 2203 we all know and love. Where did Boogies come from? Boogie started as modded Fenders. Modding is a good thing when done right. Soldano? Modded Marshall.
Jerry

• Members
Here's a little news for all you anti-mod guys. Where do you think the 2203 model came from? That model came from what guys were doing with the 1959 plexi. Had guys not modded their plexis you would have never had the 2203 we all know and love. Where did Boogies come from? Boogie started as modded Fenders. Modding is a good thing when done right. Soldano? Modded Marshall.

Jerry

So many 800's out there, it's not like they're hard to come by stock.

Archived