Computer Guys-- Linux/Server/Homebuilders...

JBecker

• Members

So I'm running Ubuntu for over three years now and as my desktop's age approaches four I'm thinking about how I'd like my next setup to work. I've come up with an ideal scenario but I have no idea how to accomplish this. What I am sure of is that it can be done with Ubuntu.

My next desktop I'd like to have play dual roles as a semi-HTPC (no need for DVR features) and server. I'd like to run a thin client at my desk that I can set to log into my desktop and run a session as though I was using my desktop-- applications installed on the thin client, but files retrieved and saved on the remote server. Typical kind of server-client interaction. Simultaneously, I'd like my desktop to be hooked up to my HDTV/stereo running a fancy front end so I can play music and video through my setup that's stored on that machine. Ideally, not only will I be able to directly control that front end with some kind of hardware (remote, gyro mouse, etc), but also with my thin client.

So the goal here is to have a nice, powerful, RAID redundant machine where all my files are stored which acts as both a server for my thin client and as a media front end with essentially seamless interaction between the two. I don't want to use remote login because I want to be logged into my desktop as a user on my thin client while using the desktop as a media server as well.

With Core i7 and graphics cards powerful and cheap, I can't imagine that this would be too much load on a $1000-1250 desktop paired with any other machine that's just powerful enough for daily application tasks (Compiz on a 22" monitor as a minimum requirement for power is really not too tough. $500 small system should more than due the trick, and heck, half the nettop boxes should work).

So how does this sound as a plan? Could this really work? What steps would I need to take to get this up and running? I'm not afraid of the CLI, but I really am just a daily desktop Linux user that picks up what he needs to as he runs into a problem that or task.

• Members

it sounds very doable. you wouldn't even need to do anything beyond setting up a mount point for the server inside your home.

for software there are lots of options, you can use MythTV or a few others I forget the names of. They're in synaptic. Also mpd for music playing, I use it as my main player and I only have one computer. being logged into the desktop isn't an issue, the media server would run as a separate user anyway.

• Members

I think you can do something like this: (don't remember the syntax exactly)

(from the client)
export $DISPLAY::x:0: DISPLAY

then ssh or rlogin or whatever into your server and it will export the X session onto your client. This way you don't really even need NFS shares or any of that, your thin client can be truly thin :cop:

• Members

My first question would be exactly why do you need to go thin client? You could run ubuntu server (dead simple to setup) and use that as your file storage. Doesn't even have to be a fast, powerful machine. Mine here is an old Celeron-based Compaq Presario, and it runs just fine. I haven't done networked home folders like we do on Mac networks, but I'm sure there's a Linux equivalent.

• Members

The whole goal of moving the files remotely to a media server is to use that media server as a direct hookup to my A/V equipment. I want a powerful media front end that has no problem handling 1080p video while I'm running other things off that machine because I'm working on my desk.

Probably overpowering a bit for this task, but I like my computers to last 4 years without any problems and with the ability to handle any new task I throw at it. This last machine has done pretty much just that and I'm quite happy with it. Now there are some quirky things going on and I'm ready to move on in a few months.

The idea would be a real nice machine sitting as a media front end and file server (but I think preferably also where I'm running another session off of-- I'm thinking something similar to a schools setup where the programs are installed and run locally but the profile and files are stored remotely). I'm not even sure I'd build the thin client side, maybe I'd buy something like the System76 Sable (I haven't looked into cost for a smaller form factor machine relative to prebuilt). Small foot print on my desk, powerful enough to push large or multiple monitors, but not overpowered for daily productivity tasks. Media tasks are off loaded to another machine which is attached to the equipment I have for better media viewing.

Does that make sense?

Archived