Which Splawn................

colejustesen

• Members

I have been eying the Splawn amps for quite some time now. I will be coming into some money that would be able to buy a brand new one. My problem is deciding which one.

I am torn between the Super Comp and the Pro Stock (KT88s).

I have been interested in the past of getting a Dual Rectifier because of the openness they have and the growl in the low mids they have. However I love the sound of a pushed Marshall style amp. I really loved my DSL100, but I have been wanting to try a Splawn for quite some time.

I play everything from classic rock to new modern stuff. No death metal for me, but the hardest would probably be along the lines of Sevendust or Killswitch Engage.

I know the Nitro series have that extra umph in the low mids and bass, but I have heard some awesome Pro Mod clips too.

I am almost positive that if I got the Super comp it would be with KT88 power tubes, I know the Pro Stock would be this way. My question is the low mids of the Nitro low enough that I would need the bite of an EK34 type tube to compensate?

Either way I know I will be getting a great, rocking amp. Can you guys help point me in the right direction? I would love to hear some input from those who have tried both. Thanks.

Cole

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

quickrod

Why the Quickrod? What tubes are you running in it? I would think the KT77s would be great in that amp. It seems to have tons of mids, granted I know the Pro Mod is the same preamp just with more of a modern sound with the KT88s.

Also I am wanting the single channel version, so you would vote for the Pro Stock, I am assuming.

Cole

• Members

I just prefer it over the nitro, I had EL34Bs in both.

Its more versitale and covers more ground.

for the price of the prostock you can pick up a used QR/PM.

That is a good point. I know it sounds stupid, but I would like for once to buy a brand new amp. All the amps I have owned are used. Though I have no problem buying used, obviously. I don't see them go too often on the used market though. Maybe I am just missing them.

Cole

• Members

Why the Quickrod? What tubes are you running in it? I would think the KT77s would be great in that amp. It seems to have tons of mids, granted I know the Pro Mod is the same preamp just with more of a modern sound with the KT88s.

Also I am wanting the single channel version, so you would vote for the Pro Stock, I am assuming.

Cole

Because he's biased, "buy what I like" philosophy.

You just need to ask yourself what flavor of the Splawn voicing you want first, then think about power tube choice after you decide that imo.

If you want the most Marshallish classic voicing go Quick/Pro-mod.

• Members

I have two votes for the Quickrod, has anyone tried a Quickrod and a Pro Mod? I would like to know if they are that different sounding.

Cole

Don't choose by how many votes are in a HCAF thread/poll, that's just a popularity contest.

If you truly can't decide go with what your initial gut feeling was telling you, buy used and if you don't like it flip it and get the other model. :)

• Members

Because he's biased, "buy what I like" philosophy.

You just need to ask yourself what flavor of the Splawn voicing you want first, then think about power tube choice after you decide that imo.

If you want the most Marshallish classic voicing go Quick/Pro-mod.

having owned both i am biased.:poke: and gave my reasons why.

Why would anyone recommend a Nitro if he is wanting pushed Marshall sounding amp ?

• Members

I bought my Nitro new last fall. I could not make up my mind either. I ordered a QR and then changed my order the week Scott went to build my amp. I am still not sure if I made the right choice.

The Nitro is a great piece of gear. Like the QR it is simple and is not loaded with features which is the way I like amps. I also have not played a QR to date which is the only reason i have not also bought one ( luckily I found someone in my area that has one so this should change soon !). The Nitro is not as versatile as the QR from all the clips and all the opinions I have heard. The OD 1/OD2 function on the Nitro is useless to me but the three gears on the QR are quite functional from what I can tell.

If you want Marshallesque= QR

If you want Recto"ish"= Nitro

• Members

I bought my Nitro new last fall. I could not make up my mind either. I ordered a QR and then changed my order the week Scott went to build my amp. I am still not sure if I made the right choice.

The Nitro is a great piece of gear. Like the QR it is simple and is not loaded with features which is the way I like amps. I also have not played a QR to date which is the only reason i have not also bought one ( luckily I found someone in my area that has one so this should change soon !). The Nitro is not as versatile as the QR from all the clips and all the opinions I have heard. The OD 1/OD2 function on the Nitro is useless to me but the three gears on the QR are quite functional from what I can tell.

If you want Marshallesque= QR

If you want Recto"ish"= Nitro

Once you play one model, you'll need to play the other to get it out of your system because it's always in the back your mind. :lol:

The gears are quite useful on the Quickrod imo...

Archived