OT--Vehicle Guys--2004 F150 Window leaking...

somata

• Members

i know its a stretch that someone will be able to help, but what the hell...

i've had my 2004 F150 for 4 years now, and just yesterday at band practice, after letting it sit outside during a torrential downpour, i noticed a leak in the rear window. it definitely seemed to be most wet in the middle, so i've done some searching around, and it seems like this is a common problem...i think that it's probably related to the 3rd brake light. because a.) it was wettest in the middle b.) the seal around the window itself seems solid.

i called the dealer, and there's no gasket to be had by itself, i can however buy the $64.00 complete replacement. which seems ridiculous. is there a 3rd party source for just the gasket? or will a good bead of silicone do the trick? or is there a better solution? in terms of full disclosure, i'm don't know a whole lot about vehicles, so if there's some specific material that will work, a nudge in the right direction to find it would be much appreciated...

• Members

Haha, yeah, I've had problems with leaky windows/lights/sunroofs, etc.

Try and source a new replacement unit on eBay or something, never buy from the dealership. They don't call them stealerships for nothing.

Actually, funny story. My old band had a Chevrolet Express 15 pass. van. We had to replace the door hinges on one of the side cargo doors. So thats two hinge assemblies, one top, one bottom.

$2000.

Yes. "{censored} you" is what we said, and left.

Anyway back on track, get a new replacement. Before you install it, cover the inside of the brake light cavity with silicone, like just cover it. Don't make it messy, but use a lot. Bolt the new sucker in place and it should be all good. In most cases it has worked for me.

• Members

Have a friend spray the back window with a garden hose while you are inside and find out exactly where it is leaking. I would try to seal it with some silicone before paying for a replacement light.

Archived