Peavey Delta Blues vs Fender Deluxe VM vs Fender Blues Deluxe

RiderOnTime

• Members

I'm still trying to decide on an amp to use in place of my current one and these are among the contenders.

What I'd like from the new amp is:

- a good clean tone, by which I don't necessarily mean endless clean headroom but a tone which has some depth to it and a bit of sparkle too. Not overly bright and thin or flat sounding but also not one which will get lost in the rest of the band!

- decent overdrive. I'm not into metal of any description but I'd like something from a good quality crunch to a fuller rock tone available if needed. Not grainy, coarse and harsh.

- decent reverb.

For me, Fender cleans are generally the best but that said I find the Deluxe Reverb too bright. Most of the Fender drive channels I've played through (either on amps I've owned or belonging to friends) have not been great and some have been really bad. That's why I'm wondering if the new Deluxe VM can deliver where the others haven't.

From what I've heard of the Peavey, it goes quite a long way to meeting the Fender cleans and the drive seemed to be better than a lot of Fenders but I haven't heard enough to be sure. The 15" speaker on the Delta Blues seems to give it a bigger (as in spacious rather than louder) sound.

Any opinions about these, regarding what I've mentioned or reliability/build issues or anything else?!

• Members

I chose the Delta Blues over the Hot Rod series.

It sounds like the cleans of the Peavey may suit you better than the Fender as well.

The drive is infinitely more usable than the Fenders', but still not the best in the world. I like to boost the clean channel for grit.

They also offer the DB in a 2X10 configuration, if thats more your thing.

• Members

- never played the deluxe vm

- the delta blues is a nice amp. good cleans. the OD is very bluesy.

- blues deluxe has better cleans, and a Vintage 30 (even though i hate v30s 99% of the time) sounds excellent in this amp and makes for a VERY nice tweed/early marshall style crunch.

i'd go blues deluxe. both the delta and deluxe take pedals really well, but imo, the deluxe sounds a lot better, well, after you put a V30 in there.

• Members

I've been hearing good things about the Deluxe VM. It seems like it actually has a drive channel that's usable for a Fender Plus, take into account that it has two separate EQ's. The Blues Deluxe is a great amp though. The Cleans are awesome and have a great blues sound when turned up. I don't use the drive channel at all because I just can't dial in a good sound for a clean and drive with one EQ. It does take pedals very well though, so you can get your dirt that way.

• Members

Thanks for the latest replies.

The Deluxe Reverb is a good amp but I had one and it was too bright.

The weight is a concern regarding the Delta Blues but every amp seems to feel heavier with each birthday I have!

The separate EQs for each channel on the Deluxe VM is certainly appealing, as I'm used to that on my current set-up and I'm aware that it would be easy to underestimate how useful it is until I don't have it.

• Members

I'm still trying to decide on an amp to use in place of my current one and these are among the contenders.

What I'd like from the new amp is:

- a good clean tone, by which I don't necessarily mean endless clean headroom but a tone which has some depth to it and a bit of sparkle too. Not overly bright and thin or flat sounding but also not one which will get lost in the rest of the band!

- decent overdrive. I'm not into metal of any description but I'd like something from a good quality crunch to a fuller rock tone available if needed. Not grainy, coarse and harsh.

- decent reverb.

None will deliver these three things all together.

Archived