My first Clip...feedback please! (new mic day)

Scarlet_Worm

• Members

Clip

this is a {censored}ty demo I did with my vocalist for testing out my new mic (AKG Perception 120)

All guitars are miked up with the perception and an sm 58

valveking through an avatar cab flat with a parametric EQ in the loop

vocals single tracked with the Perception with Bass roll off engaged

drums- {censored}ty garage band drums that aren't heavily edited

keys- garageband keys (played with midi controller)

Bass direct using Guitar Rig 3 bass amp...

rate the mix, the tone, whatever, I just want feedback!

• Members
I can barely hear the guitar..

LOL @ the drums.. did you mic your typewriter??
:lol:

re-mix it with the drums A LOT lower and the guitars up so I can actually hear the tone.

Agreed. I fully expected to read the first draft of a novel or something after that. Would love to hear it mixed better.

• Members

oh, couldn't hear the guitar in the original at all.

the second one, remixed is a lot better.

a LOT better! vocals are too high for my tastes, but for someone else i'm sure they're perfect!

everything else is top notch! maybe a bit more uppp on ze guitars.. just a bit.

did you double track? if so i can't tell.

• Members
much better. I like the guitar tone, maybe a add little more low end on the single notes but overall it sounds good. The VK is a fine amp.

yeah, I don't get alot of the hate for the amp from the cork sniffers around here... I like the tone better than my old ultra + :idk:

yeah, I think I may have engaged the bass roll off on the perception for the guitars, maybe the reason for lack of low end in the single notes

• Members
thanks guys
:love:

Voltaire, it was double tracked, one take (mostly rhythm) L/R SM58 and Perception and one take (mostly harmonies and rhythm) R/L Sm 58 and Perception

are the different rhythm tracks 100% left and right?

i don't know, it sounds like it would fit perfect with some metal bands that i know of.. but it's just not thickk enough for mee. (names escape me right now, i think it's got something like "Gore" in the title with two different singers with extremely flemmy gargly vocals)

but that's only a personal preference.

• Members

yeah, I don't get alot of the hate for the amp from the cork sniffers around here... I like the tone better than my old ultra +
:idk:

yeah, I think I may have engaged the bass roll off on the perception for the guitars, maybe the reason for lack of low end in the single notes

well I like the U+ better, but the VK is really great too, I've had one for a while and I really enjoyed it. I could gig/record with one any day, regardless of price.

• Members

48% R and 37%L

I find randomizing the L/R percentages makes for a bigger sounding recording... but the rhythm track is the same only with different mics... if I did a true double track it would probably sound bigger, but this was just to test out my new mic... when my band gets rolling on our pre-production stuff I'll really start taking teh multi-tracking seriously

• Members

well I like the U+ better, but the VK is really great too, I've had one for a while and I really enjoyed it. I could gig/record with one any day, regardless of price.

honestly I think its my cab... the U+ sounded REALLY dark with my avatar, but sounded tits through my friends old Mesa OS recto cab... while the VK being a brighter amp sounds more rounded out through my darker sounding cab:thu:

• Members

48% R and 37%L

I find randomizing the L/R percentages makes for a bigger sounding recording... but the rhythm track is the same only with different mics... if I did a true double track it would probably sound bigger, but this was just to test out my new mic... when my band gets rolling on our pre-production stuff I'll really start taking teh multi-tracking seriously

gotcha!

looking good.

god damn, i reallywant to remember that band now.

• Members
honestly I think its my cab... the U+ sounded REALLY dark with my avatar, but sounded tits through my friends old Mesa OS recto cab... while the VK being a brighter amp sounds more rounded out through my darker sounding cab:thu:

Yeah I use Avatar cabs too and the cab with GBs was super dark with the U+, the one with G12s was :love: it definitely needs bright speakers.

• Members

btw you should try a 12AT7 in the PI of your VK, they benefit so much from it, the tone gets a little darker, tighter and more fluid.

I'll try that:thu: I gotta take my guitar in for some work, I'll pick up an AT7 when I go to the shop in couple weeks

Archived