Framus Cobra Versions?

freehandarson

• Members

I would give you the run down and all the details but inevitably some assclown who's played one in a GC that one time will chime in and want to argue about it.

Just use the search man.

This pretty much sums up 99.98% of the threads here on HCAF.

The few guys that have experience and knowledge get pissed off by some 16 year old know-nothing, and all that are left here are the 16 year old know-nothings.

Lord of the Flies scenario then ensues.

:lol::cop:

• Members

I don't really believe in the differences guitarman and other guys mention

never played another one myself (mine is a 2004 V5), but you can see from pics and schematics that they didn't change anything besides board layouts

they still use exactly the same parts for everything

it's just normal to same amps of the same model to sound slightly different between them :idk:

my amp had the whole preamp voicing and power amp modded for marshall crunch and smoother response and still sounds pretty much like a cobra, but with a different character (less modern/open, more dense/crunchy)

• Members

I used to have a version 5, but I played a version 1 once and loved it more. I know that version 5 has the tubes board mounted while I believe version 1 was chassis mounted. It's been awhile since I've owned one.

only the power tubes, from what I remember

and that doesn't change a thing

no big deal in using board mounted tubes

the Diezel Einstein, for example has board mounted power tubes

but if Framus does that then it's cheap built/made in china/omg it's a bugera

:lol:

• Members

I don't really believe in the differences guitarman and other guys mention

never played another one myself (mine is a 2004 V5), but you can see from pics and schematics that they didn't change anything besides board layouts

they still use exactly the same parts for everything

it's just normal to same amps of the same model to sound slightly different between them
:idk:
my amp had the whole preamp voicing and power amp modded for marshall crunch and smoother response and still sounds pretty much like a cobra, but with a different character (less modern/open, more dense/crunchy)

The schematics are wrong:cop:

Seriously though, the parts are different from V1 to V5. I've found that the PCB boards from the flying lead construction alone make a difference in the tone. Not in a good way either.

• Members

only the power tubes, from what I remember

and that doesn't change a thing

no big deal in using board mounted tubes

the Diezel Einstein, for example has board mounted power tubes

but if Framus does that then it's cheap built/made in china/omg it's a bugera

Again, not all boards are made equal. It is entirely possible to make a good PCB amp but I don't think that Framus was too concerned about staying true to the original tone as much as they were concerned with cutting costs..

They got rid of the designer of the Cobra as well and have gone down hill ever since IMO..

Put some of the old amps up against the new ones my friend and get back to me;)

It's unfortunate but true...

• Members

Again, not all boards are made equal. It is entirely possible to make a good PCB amp but I don't think that Framus was too concerned about staying true to the original tone as much as they were concerned with cutting costs..

They got rid of the designer of the Cobra as well and have gone down hill ever since IMO..

Put some of the old amps up against the new ones my friend and get back to me;)

It's unfortunate but true...

orly?

• Members

orly?

It's not really news. i've been saying it for a while.

I feel really lucky to have heard the older one's to know the differences.

I really wish the company would revise the amps and go back to hand wiring them and do some upgrades as well to the cosmetics..

• Members

It's not really news. i've been saying it for a while.

I feel really lucky to have heard the older one's to know the differences.

I really wish the company would revise the amps and go back to hand wiring them and do some upgrades as well to the cosmetics..

Were any versions noisier than the others?:poke::cop:

• Members

The schematics are wrong:cop:

Seriously though, the parts are different from V1 to V5. I've found that the PCB boards from the flying lead construction alone make a difference in the tone. Not in a good way either.

only the tonestack and a few details

cause the older version cobra schematics on the website are actually dragon schematics, not cobra's

I've checked several pics posted on foruns of at least 3 versions and they all have the same stuff, just in different layouts

I dare you to prove that to us by recording a comparison with your 10 versions using exactly the same tubes, same cabs and settings, and detailed pics of each board :cop::cop::cop:

and then another comparison with different cobras from the same time/version that of course still won't sound 100% the same

if you can notice a tone difference between a PCB mounted from a chassi mounted tubes and a from 10 PCBs to 1 huge PCB, then you're not human :lol:

• Members

only the tonestack and a few details

cause the older version cobra schematics on the website are actually dragon schematics, not cobra's

I've checked several pics posted on foruns of at least 3 versions and they all have the same stuff, just in different layouts

I dare you to prove that to us by recording a comparison with your 10 versions using exactly the same tubes, same cabs and settings, and detailed pics of each board
:cop:
and then another comparison with different cobras from the same time/version that of course still won't sound
100%
the same

if you can notice a tone difference between a PCB mounted from a chassi mounted tubes and a from 10 PCBs to 1 huge PCB, then you're not human

Nah dude, it wasnt even close.. You'd have to be deaf to not hear it.

It's easy to hear the difference if you simply A/B them. Going by memory it would be closer but together in the same room it's more than obvious. Sad but obvious..

Save some money up and spring for an older version, they're super cheap right now anyway..The Dragons are more exaggerated in their differences. the older Cobras have a different midrange voicing and way less presence/fizz.

Get back to me after you A/B them. I'll be waiting...

• Members

Nah dude, it wasnt even close.. You'd have to be deaf to not hear it.

It's easy to hear the difference if you simply A/B them. Going by memory it would be closer but together in the same room it's more than obvious. Sad but obvious..

Save some money up and spring for an older version, they're super cheap right now anyway..The Dragons are more exaggerated in their differences.
the older Cobras have a different midrange voicing
and way less presence/fizz.

Get back to me after you A/B them. I'll be waiting...

How do the mid voicings differ?

• Members

:confused:

the dragon has much more lower mids than the cobra

or maybe you're trying to say it sounds more like a dragon, BUT with less lower mids?

No, the Cobra has more lower mids.

Ever turned the mid control on the Cobra up a bit? What happens?

You get bass along with it. That's because the two controls are very close in the frrequency range.

That does not happen on the Dragon.

The Dragon's mids are voiced higher but it is not a upper mid voiced amp either. It's just higher than the Cobra.

• Members

The one I recently worked on you had to remove the corner protectors so the big ugly metal faceplate would slide forward when removing the chassis from the box.

It's easier to remove the chassis by pulling it out the back of the box. No removal of corner protectors needed, only the two wood blocks on the back side.

• Members

:confused:

i too are confused

which cobra version is darker?

Darker? Not sure I said one was neccesarily darker than the other.

The older V1 and V2 Cobra's have less presence to them. The high end isnt as aggressive sounding. So I guess you could say they're darker.

• Members

Darker? Not sure I said one was neccesarily darker than the other.

The older V1 and V2 Cobra's have less presence to them. The high end isnt as aggressive sounding. So I guess you could say they're darker.

that does help

Archived