Which tubes for my DC-10?

Beasleyboy

• Members

Hey guys, I'm about to do a full retube on my DC-10 head so I was wondering what brand/type of 6L6's you guys would recommend and what preamp tubes I should try out and each slot.

Also this thread is for an english assignment...I"m supposed to participate in an online discussions so thanks for your help!

• Members

I know this sounds really, really, really boring.

But I have tried them all in my DC 5 and Mesas own brand tubes are just stellar for this amp.

All my pres are russian 2 mesas. All my power tubes are medium breakup mesas.

Here is a down tuned clipidy doo dah of my DC5 doing some doom/sludge:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=862889&songID=7424795

• Members

The amp already has mesa tubes in it, so I might try out another brand. Has anyone tried out any winged c 6L6s?

That's what I run in everything. My DC-5 sounds great with them. Try a 5751 in V1 as well. It's great.

• Members

Ya the preamp tubes are going to be the hardest for me to decide on. I'm looking to make the high-gain (boost lead channel) sound a bit better, so what preamp tubes in what slots could help me with this?

V1, V2, and V4 have the most to do with your sound in that order. Pull the chassis. Put it upside down on a towel so you don't get shocked. Plug everything in normally and power it up. Play a bit but not loud enough to fatigue your ears and then put the amp on standby, swap V1, give it a few seconds to warm up the new tube and play some more. Keep doing this till you find the V1 tube you like the best. Then move on to V2, etc.

• Members

12AY7's are great but IMO, 12AT7's suck for tonestack applications. They just sound thin and bright to me.

I couldn't get my hands on a 5751 and the 12AT7's sounded better then all the other tubes I had.

I was trying to get a bit more headroom so. Does the job nicely I think and it sways more towards fender cleans, if that makes any sense. It's a bit ice pickish but I like it for some reason.

• Members

I couldn't get my hands on a 5751 and the 12AT7's sounded better then all the other tubes I had.

I was trying to get a bit more headroom so. Does the job nicely I think and it sways more towards fender cleans, if that makes any sense. It's a bit ice pickish but I like it for some reason.

I got that you were using 12AY7's. I was wondering if you'd tried the 12AT7's. I hated them.

• Members

Look up the DC-10 tube layout on MB's site and figure out what they do. Basically it's the same as the DC-5 and V1 is closest to the input jack.

DC-5TubeLayout.jpg

I have know clue what the Phase Splitter/Driver does...or FX return ::confused:facepalm:

• Members

I got that you were using 12AY7's. I was wondering if you'd tried the 12AT7's. I hated them.

O {censored}. My bad. Reading comprehension fail :facepalm:.

Naw, I think I have those in the reverb driver and the phase inverter. Didn't even think about putting it in V1.

• Members

O {censored}. My bad. Reading comprehension fail
:facepalm:

Naw, I think I have those in the reverb driver and the phase inverter. Didn't even think about putting it in V1.

I run a 5751 in V1, 9th gen Chinese Shuguang in V2-V5 and a NOS Jan GE 12AT7 in V6. Sounds killer.

• Members

I run a 5751 in V1, 9th gen Chinese Shuguang in V2-V5 and a NOS Jan GE 12AT7 in V6. Sounds killer.

Ummm, I'll have to see about the 5751. I wanted to 'tame' the lead channel a bit since I don't use that much gain anyways. I think I have a DW7 in V2 right now and it sounds pretty good for leads.

For some reason I'm not getting a long with the lead channel for a heavy rhythm. Always seems to have a little top end fizz.

• Members

Ummm, I'll have to see about the 5751. I wanted to 'tame' the lead channel a bit since I don't use that much gain anyways. I think I have a DW7 in V2 right now and it sounds pretty good for leads.

For some reason I'm not getting a long with the lead channel for a heavy rhythm. Always seems to have a little top end fizz.

The 5751 is a fizz tamer for sure.

Archived