Open Mic Essentials

fingerpicker

• Members

I replied to a post in the Live sound forum and thought this might be handy over here as well since a number of you do open mics.

1) Choose your songs wisely. Basically start with a comfortable tune that you will have no trouble doing. This will warm up your voice too.

2)Bring your own essentials. If you use a capo, bring one. Same goes for picks, etc. Don't be the annoying, needy, unprepared musician!

3) Tune in advance. This way you will only need to fine tune at the open mic.

4)Let the host worry about sound levels. Dont mess with your volume while the guy is trying to get your sound right.

5) Music stand? Hey if you want to see your lyrics just do it and dont let anyone on this forum tell you otherwise. It's an open mic for goodness sake! More importantly you should check if the host supplies a music stand or not.

6) Get ready quick. Nothing worse than the musician who need to go use the restroom right when it's their turn to play, then decides they might need another beer,then cant get their guitar in tune, etc.

7) Have fun. Dont take it so seriously. You are going to make a few mistakes. Guess what? It doesn't really matter.

I host an open mic each week and I hope this helps you

• Members

Open mics attract all sorts of folk so be prepared to sit through some real ear bleeders. But they also attract some real gems that you would never think to have heard at open mics.

They are a great way to express yourself and play in front of people to work on performance.

• Members

As a long-time open stage player and host i think those are some good ideas, fingerpicker.

I'm lucky to have a good open stage nearby. The host is fair, gets good sound, and knows a lot of songs.

The "house band" (not really a band) are mostly sensitive musicians who know how to follow a band leader (whoever that may be at the moment). We've all played songs we wrote that morning, etc. A lot of the musician audience can appreciate some improv.

Also, I don't mind the occasional earbleed. I try to learn what not to do from the bad ones, too.

• Members

I've frequented a few great open mics over the years. It's all about the host/MC, of course. He's got to balance all the people coming in, try to put together an evening that flows but not tick off the most reliable crowd pleasers by putting them on too early or keeping them waiting too long. He's got to be encouraging without being overindulgent. He's got to have the patience of Diogenes, the wisdom of Solomon, and occasionally the ruthlessness of Rahm Emanuel.

And then there are open mics where they have poetry and -- :eek: -- even comedians.

(I can't begin to tell you how awful the stand ups at my favorite coffee house's current open mics are. And the poets are... poets. God love 'em. [i've been a poet, so, you know. My tolerance for poets was not high when I was doing readings. It's fallen since then.])

But a good open mic is a great thing to find. You can get some really good talent coming in, because it's a lot easier on them to do a low profile 3 song set to try out new material or keep an oar in the water than the hassle of doing a show and having to notify all their friends and fans (with all the guilt and social encumbrance that entails), having to keep bookers happy, etc.

• Members

I've found open-mic nights aren't necessarily well-suited for piano/keyboard players. Either learn to play guitar, or you're in for a hassle, trying to set up your keyboard, stand, pedal, bench, etc. Can't just plug in and play. One time, I even forgot my pedal and power supply, and had to go back the next day to get it.

Some places might have a house piano or something, but you can't really count on that being the case.

• Members

I've found open-mic nights aren't necessarily well-suited for piano/keyboard players. Either learn to play guitar, or you're in for a hassle, trying to set up your keyboard, stand, pedal, bench, etc. Can't just plug in and play. One time, I even forgot my pedal and power supply, and had to go back the next day to get it.

Some places might have a house piano or something, but you can't really count on that being the case.

And there's certainly little chance of it being in tune (if it's a real piano, anyhow).

I've seen folks with basic keyboards at my favorite coffeehouse's open mic, they just plug an instrument cable from the line out on the keyboard into a line in on the PA. And, of course, the twee crowd love their Casios. That said, unless they bring their own stand, it seems like it's gonna get balanced across a stool, so if you don't want your $3000 WonderSynth 9000 to go end over end, some prep is probably worthwhile. ;)

• Members

There is a regular at my open mic that brings his keyboard in almost every week. Set-up is quick. He wheels it in, has his own stand, and we just take a line out. Pedal = just plug it in. He usually stands when playing but I dont see why a chair/bench would be a problem either.Easy.

I've had one comedian at my open mic. Not too good. I encourage poetry reading if its quiet enough to do it. Im a big fan. It takes balls to get up and recite poetry.

• Members

I've had one comedian at my open mic. Not too good. I encourage poetry reading if its quiet enough to do it. Im a big fan. It takes balls to get up and recite poetry.

It takes guts to get up naked in front of a crowd of clothed people, too, but...

Sorry, recovering poet here. :D

• Members

Open Mic", Open Stage, Jam Nite, different names for same thing. Typically a host (solo, duo, band, etc) plays a few songs and then invites other musicians up to play. Amplication can vary. At a good open stage you can play alone, with the house band backing you up, with your own band or whatever. The more amateur acts get a song or two, more accomplished musicians might play longer. Coordinating all that can be areal pain for a host act, but i've played songs that i wrote that day at open stages. Of course it depends. They can be great fun - if you can't find one why don't you try out the concept there down under?

• Members

I cut my teeth at an open mic years ago. Yes, there were ear bleeders, but for the most part everyone was capable and experienced. I learned how to play with people... not on top of them or underneath them, but with them.

You can learn from these things. If you live in an area that offers a choice of open mics throughout the week, choose one where the players are as good or better than you. That makes YOU better.

• Members

Bring your own essentials. If you use a capo, bring one. Same goes for picks, etc. Don't be the annoying, needy, unprepared musician!

I should point out that this rule works the other way too. So, you wheel in your RACK of sound equipment that includes your prized Yamaha Motif and scads of other equipment.. and you throw an absolute {censored} fit because "doesn't everyone have a 20 Amp circuit with a NEMA 5 outlet readily accessible to the stage", and, "What do you mean we can't set up our own speakers because they are too big?" Don't be that guy either.

Wow.. confessing to some past open mike divaness ruining {censored} was good catharsis.

Archived