• Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ya, but the EMG 81 is SO compressed sounding,

and I think actives always lose that organic feeling... like

a distinct differencei n sound according to your pick attack, which

you get from passives

Absolute twaddle, poppycock and balls.

If you cant has dynamics while playing with an EMG, it's because you dont have enough toane in your fingers.

Dont blame teh EMGs for your lack of fingural toane.

• Members

Absolute twaddle, poppycock and balls.

If you cant has dynamics while playing with an EMG, it's because you dont have enough toane in your fingers.

Dont blame teh EMGs for your lack of fingural toane.

Exactly. No offense, but the EMG's WILL have that "organic" sound given the proper position and tone. Usually you test EMG's on a high gain setting so obviously the "organic" part kinda goes away in the high gain stages.

I have found the 81 to be a bit sterile sounding on the clean settings (bridge) but in the neck position, it sounds GREAT for cleans. So does the 85. They just have their own frequency response spectrum and sound different from a conventional passive.

-D

• Members

JB is not muddy. I find it pretty articulate in both my RR3 and Charvel San Dimas.

it sounds muddy to me now. ever since i put a dimarzio mo'joe in my RG- when i play my guitars with a JB in them- it sounds muddy compared to that. :idk:

it never did sound quite right in the axxion anyways, but now it really bugs me.

i think drop six is right- it does have an "indistinct" low end.

• Members

If you want gain but not active, then X2N, D activator, D activator X, Lace drop n gain. That Lace is suppose to be real dynamic. A lot of people also like the Rockfield Mafia and fatass.

I listened to X2N/Dactivator clips and didn't like them

• Members

Yeah, I think actives sound sterile as well. I have Jackson actives in my Charvel Model 4 and Gibson Dirty fingers in my Les Paul and to me the DF sound way more brutal.

You dont have enough br00tz in your fingers to really make use of actives, so you use pickups which acheive br00tz easier than actives.

It's a shame really tbh :o.

• Members

You dont have enough br00tz in your fingers to really make use of actives, so you use pickups which acheive br00tz easier than actives.

It's a shame really tbh
:o

You may be on to something. Note to self, work on getting brootz into fingers.

• Members

This is a great thread.

I've been looking for possible replacement pups for this B.C. Rich I just picked up. I know I'm definitely not going to be getting any EMGs or any Seymour Duncans, nor am I too crazy about any of the DiMarzios I heard, although I still like the Super Distortion. I think I'm going to get a John Birch Magnum 2 as a replacement based on my tonal requirements.

Archived