New laptop questions

jlc1587

• Members

The laptop I currently have, a dell, my dad wants to buy off of me. I'm getting a loan to get new furniture and I'll have enough left over to get a new laptop. I kindof had my heart set on a macbook even though I said I'd never do it. But for 1200 dollars I only get a 13 inch screen. I like the big screens. Anyway this is the HP I'm looking at. The first one is an AMD and the second one is an intel. Anymore suggestions? Another thing is it MUST have an HDMI output. I like to watch hulu on my hdtv. S video isnt good enough. I could get one for so much cheaper with these same specs if more had hdmi. They have a toshiba which has all of these specs for 599 but it does not have an hdmi. Heres what I got so far. The intel isn't really worth the extra money is it? It has a slightly bigger harddrive too but other than that it's almost the same computer. I have AMD processors in my desktop right now and lov eit. Also this dekstop is an HP and it has been nothing but loyal so I like the HP name. My dell laptop is crap. It has better specs than my hp desktop but it's slower. And a key came off and the plastic piece under it broke. When I asked for another plastic piece they didnt want to give it to me they said i had to get a whole new keyboard.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9166635&type=product&id=1218041148373

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10828268

• Members

I was told by the kid who worked at Best Buy when I bought mine that AMD is identical to the Intel processor, just marked up because of the more common brand name. I don't know how true that is, but that's what he said. I went with the AMD also.

• Members

Is your new laptop going to be a desktop replacement? If not, then you don't really need a huge screen. If it's going to be your only computer, then yeah, try to go for a larger screen.

Don't buy your laptop at Walmart prz.

• Members

I was told by the kid who worked at Best Buy when I bought mine that AMD is identical to the Intel processor, just marked up because of the more common brand name. I don't know how true that is, but that's what he said. I went with the AMD also.

That is 100% not true. They're different companies and have different ways of doing things. I usually rock Intel these days, because the Core2Duos are awesome. AMD is fine, but they're not what they used to be at this juncture.

• Members

Is your new laptop going to be a desktop replacement? If not, then you don't really need a huge screen. If it's going to be your only computer, then yeah, try to go for a larger screen.

Don't buy your laptop at Walmart prz.

Why not get the one at walmart if they don't have it at best buy that day? No difference in it?

But no I still use my desktop. It will be to use on the couch and for my girlfriend to use while I'm on the desktop. But I like the big screens. Mine now is a 15 inch but I wouldn't mind it being bigger.

• Members

The laptop I currently have, a dell, my dad wants to buy off of me. I'm getting a loan to get new furniture and I'll have enough left over to get a new laptop. I kindof had my heart set on a macbook even though I said I'd never do it. But for 1200 dollars I only get a 13 inch screen. I like the big screens. Anyway this is the HP I'm looking at. The first one is an AMD and the second one is an intel. Anymore suggestions? Another thing is it MUST have an HDMI output. I like to watch hulu on my hdtv. S video isnt good enough. I could get one for so much cheaper with these same specs if more had hdmi. They have a toshiba which has all of these specs for 599 but it does not have an hdmi. Heres what I got so far. The intel isn't really worth the extra money is it? It has a slightly bigger harddrive too but other than that it's almost the same computer. I have AMD processors in my desktop right now and lov eit. Also this dekstop is an HP and it has been nothing but loyal so I like the HP name. My dell laptop is crap. It has better specs than my hp desktop but it's slower. And a key came off and the plastic piece under it broke. When I asked for another plastic piece they didnt want to give it to me they said i had to get a whole new keyboard.

I have the one listed in the best buy link, the hdmi output works great. If I don't use my wireless D Link DSM Server to stream movies, i use the hdmi output.

The only problem I've had with it is the Vista 64 bit with some programs.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Members

I have the one listed in the best buy link, the hdmi output works great. If I don't use my wireless D Link DSM Server to stream movies, i use the hdmi output.

The only problem I've had with it is the Vista 64 bit with some programs.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

What programs aren't good with it? I'm using sonar to record that I'll have on it. I mostly just browse the internet though. This will also double as an office computer. I am going to leave me desktop in the living room and have a desk for the laptop in the office room.

• Members
What programs aren't good with it? I'm using sonar to record that I'll have on it. I mostly just browse the internet though. This will also double as an office computer. I am going to leave me desktop in the living room and have a desk for the laptop in the office room.

Zonealarm, Ad Aware, Audacity, and Line 6 so far. Either no support for 64bit Vista or audio driver problems. :facepalm:

• Members

LMAO...are you kidding? There was a day when AMD was comparable to Intel processors. That was like 10 years ago. Intel has pulled ahead by a huge margin and absolutely smokes anything AMD has to offer. They are completely different processors, and have completely different performance specs. AMD is basically good if you want to spend less and don't care about having a computer that is fast enough to warp the fabric of space time. Like people who want a computer solely for surfing the internet.

• Members

that's easily the most retarded thing i've ever heard.

• Members

LMAO...are you kidding? There was a day when AMD was comparable to Intel processors. That was like 10 years ago. Intel has pulled ahead by a huge margin and absolutely smokes anything AMD has to offer. They are completely different processors, and have completely different performance specs. AMD is basically good if you want to spend less and don't care about having a computer that is fast enough to warp the fabric of space time. Like people who want a computer solely for surfing the internet.

the phenom IIs are on par with the core2 series at this point.

• Members

threadstarter:

what's your budget? what do you intend on doing with the laptop? do you intend on gaming AT ALL?

My buget is 1000. No gaming. But it has to have the HDMI output.

I'm not liking that it doesn't work with line 6 and ad aware.

• Members
Zonealarm, Ad Aware, Audacity, and Line 6 so far. Either no support for 64bit Vista or audio driver problems.
:facepalm:

what?

i'm running a line6 ux1 no problem. and ad aware is old and busted, malwarebytes works the best i've seen.

audacity works fine as well.

• Members

what?

i'm running a line6 ux1 no problem. and ad aware is old and busted, malwarebytes works the best i've seen.

audacity works fine as well.

I tried malwarebytes and it doesn't pick up as many as adaware for me. I have a line 6 gearbox I'll wan tto use on it. I don't use audactiy I use sonar 7. I think I read that sonar 7 will do vista 64 bit.

I'm not up on computers like you guys. What's the advantage of having 64 bit vista? Why would I want it?

EDIT: from what I'm reading even if I have a 64 bit processor it's better to just have the 32 bit vista.

• Members

I tried malwarebytes and it doesn't pick up as many as adaware for me. I have a line 6 gearbox I'll wan tto use on it. I don't use audactiy I use sonar 7. I think I read that sonar 7 will do vista 64 bit.

I'm not up on computers like you guys. What's the advantage of having 64 bit vista? Why would I want it?

takes advantage of the extra bus available on modern computers, and it has memory support for over 3.24GB memory. you'll have no issues running your gearbox on it. if my UX1 works, your gearbox will work. i can't tell you that sonarwill work but i use reaper with no issues.

• Members

yes. it's a fantastic laptop.

edit:

Mac Hine.

I'll put this one on the list. There would be so many cool options if more of them had the hdmi on it. I found a ton of computers I liked. Just no hdmi. For some reason Dell puts hdmi on most of theirs but I don't want another dell. For some reason on my dell when I open a new tab on internet explorer it takes like 15 seconds to load. It did this right out of the box too. And it has plenty enough power. I don't know if it's dell spyware or what. Google chrome don't do it. It's annoying though.

• Members

I'll put this one on the list. There would be so many cool options if more of them had the hdmi on it. I found a ton of computers I liked. Just no hdmi. For some reason Dell puts hdmi on most of theirs but I don't want another dell. For some reason on my dell when I open a new tab on internet explorer it takes like 15 seconds to load. It did this right out of the box too. And it has plenty enough power. I don't know if it's dell spyware or what. Google chrome don't do it. It's annoying though.

honestly one of the first things you should do when you get a new computer is clean format it.

• Members

Wow...that's exactly what I'd expect to hear from "a kid who works at Best Buy".

Not true at all, but for most people either processor will work ok.

Archived