Splawn Supercomp

DET1973

• Members

Because Scott Splawn is a small small company and is very backordered and trying his best to pump out amps quickly, a lot of his amps fit into the same sort of internal workings, if that makes any sense.

All of his amps have three switchable functions: Clean/Dirty, OD1/OD2, Solo Boost

Clean/Dirty is a channel switcher.

OD1/OD2 on the Nitro adds a touch more saturation, and boosts the low-mids a bit.

OD1/OD2 on the Quickrod adds a touch more saturation but boosts the upper-mids a bit.

Solo boost is a volume increase.

On the Supercomp, because it has no clean/overdrive, he filled that first footswitchable function with a "Mode" switch.

What this does is boost the upper-mids, similar to the Quickrod, giving it a brighter, more cutting character.

So OD1/OD2 acts like the standard function on the Nitro, while Mode acts like the OD1/OD2 selector on the Quickrod.

Hope that helps.

• Members

Because Scott Splawn is a small small company and is very backordered and trying his best to pump out amps quickly, a lot of his amps fit into the same sort of internal workings, if that makes any sense.

All of his amps have three switchable functions: Clean/Dirty, OD1/OD2, Solo Boost

Clean/Dirty is a channel switcher.

OD1/OD2 on the Nitro adds a touch more saturation, and boosts the low-mids a bit.

OD1/OD2 on the Quickrod adds a touch more saturation but boosts the upper-mids a bit.

Solo boost is a volume increase.

On the Supercomp, because it has no clean/overdrive, he filled that first footswitchable function with a "Mode" switch.

What this does is boost the upper-mids, similar to the Quickrod, giving it a brighter, more cutting character.

So OD1/OD2 acts like the standard function on the Nitro, while Mode acts like the OD1/OD2 selector on the Quickrod.

Hope that helps.

Thank you. that's exactly what i needed to know. I'm torn between which one to get cause i don't play music that really requires a clean channel. so it looks like the supercomp is the way to go for me.

Thank you for the informative explanation

• Members

With mode off its basically regular Nitro , engage it and the mids drop and more crushing low end kicks in . Turning it into a Super Nitro .

Switching to OD2 adds gain and a sweet midrange bump . These are all sublte enhancements .

With mode off / OD2 and midrange dial up its close to Quikrod gear 3 , but still alittle different because of the gain structure .

My SC is 100 with 50 watt switch .

The resonance is different than on other amps I've had . With it off there is a ton more midrange and its tight as Hell . Turn it up and the tone kinda softens out alittle with very sublte lows .

I have 2 short clips on Scotts site if you want to hear it.

JB

• Members

I thought the Supercomp was 50 watts also whereas the Nitro is 100?

I'm pretty sure you could get either amp in either power wattage.

Splawn's 100 watt amps have a half-power switch on the back that pull the two outer power tubes out of the circuit, reducing it to 50 watts.

Their 50 watt heads have a pentode/triode switch in that spot instead.

• Members

Almost: Nitro is 100 watts only (with 50 watt switch); Super Comp is available as either 100 (with same switch) or 50 (with a Triode switch).

Note that, for reasons I don't understand, Splawn's single channel amps are typically a bit more aggressive than their two channel big brothers, as is the case with my Competition vs. a Quick Rod.

• Members

Almost: Nitro is 100 watts only (with 50 watt switch); Super Comp is available as either 100 (with same switch) or 50 (with a Triode switch).

Note that, for reasons I don't understand, Splawn's single channel amps are typically a bit more aggressive than their two channel big brothers, as is the case with my Competition vs. a Quick Rod.

I think that is typically the rule for all single-channel vs. dual-channel amps. The Soldano Avenger is noticably angrier than the SLO and the internal workings are almost identical. Not sure why, just is what it is I suppose.

Archived