Help! Amp Problem

Introspectre

• Members

When I turn on the power to my Peavey Valve King and disengage standby, it does nothing: the power tubes don't appear lit up and no sound is produced.

I would assume I need new power tubes, but am frankly lost, as I know {censored} all about amps. What could be the problem? Any info is much appreciated.

• Members

Check all your volume knobs including guitar. Check your cables speaker and guitar. Check that all your tubes are lighting up. Plug your guitar straight in if you are using pedals.

I tried all of that, but my tubes aren't lighting up. Dead tubes?

• Members

I tried all of that, but my tubes aren't lighting up. Dead tubes?

Check your fuse. If it blew it could of been caused by a bad power tube. I dont know if you can run two tubes on a valveking, but I do know you dont have to get them biased , you just need a matching quad.

• Members
Check your fuse. If it blew it could of been caused by a bad power tube. I dont know if you can run two tubes on a valveking, but I do know you dont have to get them biased , you just need a matching quad.

So, to check my fuse, I throw in a new set of tubes, and if they're still not lighting up, it's the fuse?

I'm a total electronics noob, sorry for my incompetence. :p

• Members
So, to check my fuse, I throw in a new set of tubes, and if they're still not lighting up, it's the fuse?

I'm a total electronics noob, sorry for my incompetence.
:p

I would take the fuse out and visually inspect it. If you have a multimeter you could check to see if it is blown by touching both ends of the fuse with the probes to see if current is flowing. Just dont get shocked!!! It would be cheaper to first pull out the fuse and go get a few of the same fuse from Lowes or even maybe auto zone or wal mart. Pop a new one in and see what happens. I am by no means a tech in any way. This is just how I would trouble shoot. Do you have a tech near you?

• Members
I would take the fuse out and visually inspect it. If you have a multimeter you could check to see if it is blown by touching both ends of the fuse with the probes to see if current is flowing. Just dont get shocked!!! It would be cheaper to first pull out the fuse and go get a few of the same fuse from Lowes or even maybe auto zone or wal mart. Pop a new one in and see what happens. I am by no means a tech in any way. This is just how I would trouble shoot. Do you have a tech near you?

I suppose if the fuse was blown, it might look black and charred, right? I could definitely give that a try. I figured it must have something to do with the power supply or the fuse, etc., since there seems to be no power going to the power tubes at all.

I would have to lug my combo amp sixty miles to get to the nearest tech. :mad:

• Members

This may be a stupid question, but does the power light come on? The reason the tubes light up is because of the tube heaters are getting current which should turn on when the power is on (even if the amp is on standby). If the tubes are not lighting up it means the heaters are not working. Also, the fact that none of them light up suggest that it's a problem with the circuit, not the tubes. Do the preamp tubes light up?

• Members

This may be a stupid question, but does the power light come on? The reason the tubes light up is because of the tube heaters are getting current which should turn on when the power is on (even if the amp is on standby). If the tubes are not lighting up it means the heaters are not working. Also, the fact that none of them light up suggest that it's a problem with the circuit, not the tubes. Do the preamp tubes light up?

The power light on the front of the amp does come on, but no tubes light up.

It's sounding more and more like another job for the tech. I actually need my input soldered again anyway. This amp has been a complete waste of $600. LOL

• Members

Well, looking at the schematic it looks like the heaters are in series, so if one of the tube heaters was broken none of them would light up. That also means that you can't pull two of the tubes to test it. All of the power and preamp tubes need to be in for the amp to work. If you had an extra set of tubes it might be worth just plugging them in and turning on the power to see if they light up.

• Members

I can't believe you just said that :facepalm:

Most of the time, you can usually tell when a fuse has failed just by looking at it. It'd be the first and easiest step when this sort of problem happens. Even if it doesn't look blown, replace it with another fuse of the exact same value if you haven't got a multimeter.

You do not check a fuse by going at it with probes when the amp is switched on. If you have probes to begin with, you can check it for continuity out of the amp. You also can't measure current in parallel to a device like you can with voltage. It has to be in series.

If your pilot light is coming on, I'd check the fuses and if they check out all good, I'd try swapping the tubes if you have any lying around. You say in your original post "the power tubes don't appear lit". What about pre-amp tubes? Failing that, take it to a tech.

I've just had a quick scan of a schematic for the Valve King and strangely enough, it does give the impression that they are connected in series so changing the tubes seems like the way to go before taking it to a tech.

• Members

I can't believe you just said that
:facepalm:

Most of the time, you can usually tell when a fuse has failed just by looking at it. It'd be the first and easiest step when this sort of problem happens. Even if it doesn't look blown, replace it with another fuse of the exact same value if you haven't got a multimeter.

You do not check a fuse by going at it with probes when the amp is switched on. If you have probes to begin with, you can check it for continuity out of the amp. You also can't measure current in parallel to a device like you can with voltage. It has to be in series.

If your pilot light is coming on, I'd check the fuses and if they check out all good, I'd try swapping the tubes if you have any lying around. You say in your original post "the power tubes don't appear lit". What about pre-amp tubes? Failing that, take it to a tech.

I've just had a quick scan of a schematic for the Valve King and strangely enough, it does give the impression that they are connected in series so changing the tubes seems like the way to go before taking it to a tech.

In short, fuses are cheap. You dont even need to look to see if the old one is blown. Just change it. If the amp fires up, problem solved. If it doesn't, it wasnt the fuse (though it is not a guarantee that the old fuse is not blown).

• Members

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'll try a new fuse, and if that doesn't work, I'll throw in a new set of power tubes. I still have the {censored}ty tubes in it that came stock two or three years ago, so I wouldn't mind upgrading anyway.

My only problem: how do I remove the fuse? LOL I can't seem to pry it out with my fingers, so what sort of tool should I use? (I'm that electronically inept.)

Archived