PEAVEY 5150/6505 head: To bias hotter or not?

Doittoday

• Members

Why is hotter worse for low volume?

I honestly don't know... just heard many people say this.

I can kinda see why it WOULD be better for louder applications but idk about it being worse for lower volumes...

• Members

so if that's true....

wouldn't it be worse at high volumes with a high bias,

since it would breakup more...

and it would be better at low volumes with a high bias,

since it would get heated easily

uh?

No. Cause with a high bias point, it would break up later at higer volumes, so you can crank it louder with keeping the poweramp clean.

• Members

This makes sense so lower bias is better for lower volumes.
Because when I turn my 5150 up I seriously don't dig the sound

wat? :mad:

As far as comparison between stock bias and modded, The bias modded 5150 at loud volumes is overall thicker, more sustain, a little more articulate with chords and the like. Not overall a HUGE difference, but a good one none the less. Not as much grind as my stock one though...so to speak. Smoother in a sense.

• Members

No. Cause with a high bias point, it would break up later at higer volumes, so you can crank it louder with keeping the poweramp clean.

I thought it was the opposite of that ^^^.

A high bias point means the idle current and dissipation are set to a higher % of the rated watts so it it should be easier to push the tubes into max dissipation and breakup. The bias point is actually the zero point and your guitar signal will only increase the current and dissipation from there. :idk::confused:

• Members

Yeah exactly I would say its the opposite. With a high bias setiing playing at high volume you will get more poweramp brakeup, which can traslate to mush.

With a lower bias setting at high volumes you will get more clarity and tighter lows. When I say lower bias, I do not mean very low because then you get into harsh highs and loss of harmonics.

• Members

Yeah exactly I would say its the opposite. With a high bias setiing playing at high volume you will get more poweramp brakeup, which can traslate to mush.

With a lower bias setting at high volumes you will get more clarity and tighter lows. When I say lower bias, I do not mean very low because then you get into harsh highs and loss of harmonics.

so like, stock low?

Archived