Best relatively cheap home recording through a mac...

Doittoday

• Members

Wannna start getting some stuff down (I use GarageBand for mac

at the moment), but I need something that let's me plug my guitar

straight into my comp.

Tone isn't really a huge priority, just mixing some songs and schtuff

I'm really new to this,

solutions? links?

:)

• Members

I have a larger version of Pro Tools but recently I bought the MBox2 Mini to use with my laptop so I can mix or track away from the studio.

It is quite a nice little deal. It costs $295 but comes with a ton of stuff. It comes with Pro Tools LE 7.4 but has a free upgrade path to Pro Tools 8 which is really cool. I have been a PT user for quite a few years and PT8 is a vast improvement over PT 7.

It also comes with a ton of very good plug in's and virtual instruments and a bunch of lite applications like BFD, Ableton Live, Reason Adapted, Ozone 3 Lite, T-Racks mastering lite etc etc etc Celemony Melodyne Uno...yada yada. It has a lite version of Digi's Eleven...guitar modeling plug in.

For me the upgrade to PT 8 was going to cost $150. So for $145 more I got the MBox 2 Mini as well....a no brainer in my world.

The downside is only 2 simultaneous inputs. One XLR and two 1/4". Only two at any time.

The thing is...if you are not ever using more than 2 inputs it is not a big deal. Most home users import drum loops etc or create MIDI drum tracks. So you won't be able to throw mic's on a full drumset and have individual tracks....big deal. Leave that to the big boys I say and grab one of the many great drum libraries out there...EZ Drummer, Drumcore, BFD, Drums on Demand etc etc etc etc.

I think it is a great little bargain......all you need is the mic's, cables and audio monitors...... or use headphones, although you will grow out of that fast.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

OOPs! Again a mistake on my part....I read the title and not the post. I hear great things about trhe Toneport also. I use an older POD 2.0 and a Pocket POD for my portable rig. Both have great tones but these I use with the Digidesign I/O hardware.

How about Amplitube? Does it mate up with GB? I have Amplitube 2 and Amplitube Fender...pretty decent.

There is also NI stuff....Guitar Rig3.

Archived