Need new speakers for my DSL100

Say Ocean

• Members

I've already made threads about this, I know :o

But I've come to the conclusion that I really don't want v30s, which my other cab has, because with a tele into a tubescreamer style OD into a DSL into v30s its just tooooo bright and harsh. I need something that will tame the high end a bit (but not be dark) and provide a little squish and breakup. Pretty much only distorted rock tones (I really {censored}ing love the sound of a marshall cranked all the way up with a boost in front, so that's basically the tones I'll be using).

Now I know the obvious answer would be greenbacks, but is there anything else I should look at?

• Members

How different are they than greenbacks?

totally different beast than greenbacks IMO.

Lots of low end.

What are you using now?

They are currently my fave speaker.

I use them in combination with V30s and they sound great IMO.

I made a thread when I changed my V30/T75 to a V30/H30 combo.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2204628

Hope that helps.

• Members

I have a handfull of cabs I use...
Hiwatt with gt75s
Hiwatt with faynes
Orange with vintage 30s
Marshall with greenbacks
Mesa with vintage 30s.

For some reason, to my ears the best cab with my DSL is by far the hiwatt with the gt12-75s...If you watch the treble and presence, and crank the mids, it just freekin growls and the attack is perfect...

• Members
What size caps are on the tone pots?

Where are you playing the tone knob at on the guitar?

Do you have an EQ in the loop?

1. No idea.
2. usually all the way up, I don't like the way it responds to rolling off the tone knob :idk:
3. I don't like the way it makes it sound and I use my eq with my recto (it's teh stereo rig)

:idk:

• Members

The problem is I already have the treble and presence super low. Tele's are briiiiight

When is the last time you changed your tubes or checked the bias? A cold bias will make a DSL sound way bright and tinny and you end up having to run the treble and presence almost off.

For speakers you can never go wrong with greenbacks. H30's are cool but I still prefer greenbacks. I normally hate 75's but the DSL's red channel loves them. I'd go with GB's though.

• Members
When is the last time you changed your tubes or checked the bias? A cold bias will make a DSL sound way bright and tinny and you end up having to run the treble and presence almost off.

For speakers you can never go wrong with greenbacks. H30's are cool but I still prefer greenbacks. I normally hate 75's but the DSL's red channel loves them. I'd go with GB's though.

I hate the red channel on my DSL :o I just boost the crunch

but anyway, interesting that you mention bias and tubes........

The amp was new in 97, went on tour with this guy, then I bought it after it sat around at his parent's house for years. According to him the tubes are.... stock :o :o :o

that's actually next one my to-do list along with replacing the sheffields ( :facepalm: ) in this cab, once someone buys my other guitar and I get a couple more paychecks. :poke:

Oh and telephant, I've been listening to your cd. Tone=godly.

• Members

Thanks man! Dude tubes and bias should be first on the list! It will make a VERY noticable difference. I've heard DSL's go from terrible sounding to godly just from a proper bias.

I bet the red channel will sound a lot better too. Though I prefer the crunch channel as well. :)

• Members

I modified the Red channels treble bleed to a 100pf value, that is the same as the Green channel's treble bleed, so that there was a similar sound between the two. I also clipped the Lead 2's capacitor that added all the bass, so now all it does is add extra gain to the mix. It sounds great now between the two channels. You can actually use one as either a clean or a crunch, then switch over to the Red side without getting the thin sound.

My question is what cab are the speakers going into? Is it over sized, detuned, 2x12, 4x12? I would recommend the WGS ET65 speakers, or the Reaper HP (I am also assuming that it the DSL is 100 watts).

Could you describe your setup a little more to me?

Cole

• Members

I had a JCM900 and a TSL100. Both sounded much better when I went all GB's. I would also agree that new tubes may be in order as well. At very least experiment with your pre's. What is in it now? Mullards are cool. Maybe a JJ in V1 and/or you PI would help darken it a bit.

• Members

I modified the Red channels treble bleed to a 100pf value, that is the same as the Green channel's treble bleed, so that there was a similar sound between the two. I also clipped the Lead 2's capacitor that added all the bass, so now all it does is add extra gain to the mix. It sounds great now between the two channels. You can actually use one as either a clean or a crunch, then switch over to the Red side without getting the thin sound.

My question is what cab are the speakers going into? Is it over sized, detuned, 2x12, 4x12? I would recommend the WGS ET65 speakers, or the Reaper HP (I am also assuming that it the DSL is 100 watts).

Could you describe your setup a little more to me?

Cole

what cap is for the treble bleed on the red channel?

id love to give it a try.

• Members

C12 on the board that has all the tone and volume pots. If you want to alter the green channel treble bleed cap, it is C4. As far as the capacitor for the Lead 2 button, it is C13. I liked the sound after clipping it, but others might not.

Note: Some people prefer not having a capacitor in C12 at all, I think 100 pf sounds great, I might try 180 pf just because. But right now I am very happy with the sound.

Cole

• Members

I am very eager to try an Avatar Contemporary 2x12 with Vintage 30s or Hellatone 60s. I think with the mod I did to my DSL, the Vintage 30 would be the right choice.

Personally I never enjoyed the T75, but I only played them on a showroom floor. So you know they weren't broken in yet. They didn't seem too musical to me when I played them.

Cole

Archived