thicker strings = juicer harmonics?

Jcm800_6550

• Members

I don't tune down that low, because I think it sounds like {censored}e. So...the lowest I tune to is drop C#, though I'm in E flat standard most of the time. I have definitely messed around with heavier gauge strings, and I find that it brings diminishing returns. The higher in gauge I go, the more I seem to lose clarity. Things become thick but less defined. I find that a 10-52 still gives a meaty feel, but also has that brightness and clarity that I dig.

• Members

Thicker strings just make it harder to play, unless you're talking acoustic.

???

oh my god... it makes me so sad to see such rampant neglect of physics...

how could the increased mass of a moving object NOT have an effect on it's tone.. imagine if you will, a bass strung up .56, .46., .36, and .24. sure, you could tune it (probably) where it needs to go.. but it would sound like ass.

granted. extreme example.. but c'mon.. seriously. it ain't just about 'feel'...

• Members

well yeah i do notice that the higher guages have a better "tone" its more aura like and just has more tone but i was just concerned how harmonic overtones carry from guage to guage

i dunno.. i don't necessarily think it's 'better tone'.. it's just different tone. i happen to like heavier gauges because they seem to my ears to tend NOT to be as raspy and rattly as 9's or 10's, and i also hit them harder without penalty of buzzing. if i didn't play like a knuckledragging neanderthal.. mebbe i wouldn't need 'em. for people with really great technique (see, not me)-- i'd bet you could probably pull off using 8's and not get awful scree.. but i really like to beat on my guitar and have bad left hand technique too.. so if i went light, intonation would suck, AND it'd sound like ballbearings in a blender...

that said-- i STILL find heavier strings sound different even under light use conditions... and have a better balance of harmonics and fundamentals to my ears..

• Members

Newholland is on it ... well, at least as far as strings. I doubt he's being 100% objective about his technique, but who'm I to tell him he's better than the claims to be? :idk: :poke:

But as for strings, yeah ~ lighter gauges sound *different* than heavier gauges sound. That's really hard to deny. OTOH, the whole "better" thing is PURELY and ENTIRELY subjective.

I happen to like the liquidy tone that 9s afford me, but I prefer the feel of a bit more tension on the bass side than on the treble side. Hence, I use 9-46s. Now, I certainly can't lay claim to having any great technique, but I do have a light touch and I rarely if ever break strings, so those gauges work for me.

Fwiw, & y'all's mmv, of course. :D

• Members

Ha, I'm not sure why some guys care about string gauge? Or, pickups for that matter. They slather so much gain on their tone you can't hear a difference anyway.

I love that old Paul Gilbert quote in a Dimarzio promo ad. Something like, it doesn't really matter what pickup you use if you use so much distortion like a lot of guys use these days. Something like that. There's truth in it.

Having said that, I use a hybrid set. Light top, heavy bottom.:cool:

Archived