Amp into an Amp- worth it?

petejt

• Members

I have a little Marshall MS2 Mini-Stack. Is it worth running it into the front end of my MarkIV like a dirt box? For semi-crunch barky sounds? Or use it like a fuzz pedal for that big crumbly stoner doom sound? I'm kinda getting lost amongst this... :idk:

• Members

i doubt you'd get good results with that setup.

The weird thing is, is that I like it!?

It starts off good, but then it gets crappier and crappier, because it's distortion on top of distortion (even when using the Rhythm 2 channel which I set for lower gain) the tone gets really crumbly and the whole amp and speakers sound like they're falling apart. Definition and articulation go out the window. I like the 'woody' aspect it adds, kind of a woody-wooly type sound. It's different than my main tone.

I think I like it because I really like that Marshall-type tone, even from a little solid-state toy gimmick amp. You could say it adds those 'haunting mids'.

But then it's conflicting with the whole setup and the whole philosophy of it. I don't feel too good about my whole setup revolving around a pedal-sized toy amp especially when I have the MarkIV. Kind of defeats the purpose. Hence my confusion.

Is there a way I can use the MS2 creatively, without it taking over the main tone and getting carried away?

• Members

man, if you dig the marshall style tones, you're NEVER going to be happy with a MKIV. they are so different, it's silly.

perhaps obtaining an actual marshall tube amp isn't a bad idea?

I was going to buy one at one stage, while looking for cabs for the MarkIV, but at the time it was too expensive.

I know deep down inside that at the end of the day, I always go back to the MarkIV. It has my sound, what I call my main tone. Nothing beats it. The fact that I've been drifting further and further away from the Fireball is proof of that.

But still I have these moments where I'd like to embellish my main tone with other flavours, as long as they don't take it over too much. That's why I'm wondering how to integrate this MS2.

Maybe as a fuzz box for the occasional wooly sound?

• Members

Run your vocals through it.... just to mess with your singer. It'd probably work great for that STP tune "dead and bloated"... I saw them live and he was using an old school bullhorn. So, i'd say you have them beat on the gear quality issue in that aspect anyway.

• Members

{cross post}

See I was thinking of using it for wooly dirt sounds, or that warm 'murky' dirt sound like L7 have on their song Wargazm.

But then I could get that tone instantly by rolling down the tone knob on my guitar and playing close to the neck. Even fuzz sounds, I just use the guitar's controls to get different tones rather than a pedal. I try to work it with the amp.

I guess I'm not used to relying on pedals? :confused:

{censored} I feel like playing Wargazm :rawk:

• Members

I was going to buy one at one stage, while looking for cabs for the MarkIV, but at the time it was too expensive.

I know deep down inside that at the end of the day, I always go back to the MarkIV. It has my sound, what I call my main tone. Nothing beats it. The fact that I've been drifting further and further away from the Fireball is proof of that.

But still I have these moments where I'd like to embellish my main tone with other flavours, as long as they don't take it over too much. That's why I'm wondering how to integrate this MS2.

Maybe as a fuzz box for the occasional wooly sound?

why not just buy a marshall and have both???

• Members

^ I've thought of that, but after running the Fireball with the MarkIV I've come to know that I prefer the MarkIV sound but then add bits to it.

Who knows what the future may hold? Nothing is cemented in stone.

Archived