Other uses for bridges ...

Stackabones

• Members

Kerouac got me thinking ...

Bridges are where I put the instrumental breaks.
:p

I love it in tunes when the bridge is the instrumental break. Creates a really cool effect. I've done it in a few songs.

Just brainstorming other ideas for using the bridge in other ways or as different sections in songs. Sometimes the bridge just doesn't need to be in the "bridge spot" of the song ... verse-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-:blah:

Use the bridge as an intro. Of course, it becomes an intro and not the bridge -- but the song wouldn't have a bridge. I think that makes sense.

Use the bridge as a coda. This is a bit more daring, for you have to trust that your hooks and material in the song can withstand a coda.

Use the bridge as a jumping off point for an entirely new song. Not all songs need bridges! If the bridge is that good, why not start a new song?

I usually write two-part songs: verse-chorus or AABA. It's an effective tool, main idea and contrasting/complimenting idea, but having a bridge or coda or C section or whatever has been on my song radar lately.

I'm not sure I'd be able to find examples of this in other songwriters' works, for there would need to be some kind of documentation about the songwriting process. Perhaps you know of something? How about your own songs?

• Members

Yes! I love to toy with the bridge, its location, and its contribution to a song.

In my own songs...

I have a instrumental bridge that appears twice, once as an outro, in "The Glass".

There is an instrumental bridge in "Willow Away" that is different than the intro and outro guitar piece.

In several songs I use the melody of the standard bridge to sing as harmony over the final chorus of the song (in cases where that works) such as in "We Were Young" and "Celia".

I think a bridge provides opportunity for creativity and should never be considered to be simply the middle of the song.

I usually write two-part songs: verse-chorus or AABA. It's an effective tool, main idea and contrasting/complimenting idea, but having a bridge or coda or C section or whatever has been on my song radar lately.

I'm not sure I'd be able to find examples of this in other songwriters' works, for there would need to be some kind of documentation about the songwriting process. Perhaps you know of something? How about your own songs?

• Members

That happened a lot on the old Stax records--the "ensemble" section. I wrote them in more when I was writing for full bands. Now that I've focused on writing things that I can play by myself, obviously, there isn't as much opportunity for a horn section.

Yeah, I've definitely noticed that. There's one band I get a sub call for every so often that covers Stax and Motown soul and RnB. The verses and choruses are all straight ahead, but the breaks! Ya gotta be ready. No fakin'.

• Members

Use the bridge as a jumping off point for an entirely new song. Not all songs need bridges! If the bridge is that good, why not start a new song?

I do this alot when writtng a set list. I try and look at the set like one big song. Coming up with a bridge is a great way to tie two or even three songs together. It keeps people dancing and keeps things fresh for the band

• Members

Because I'm feeling contrary, I'll take issue with this. Without prescribing anything for anyone, I've got to say the greatest forward leap I've taken in my 15 years of writing (and trying to write) was when I decided to put everything I had into whatever song I was working on, in the faith that there would be more "raw material" to work with later. Once I quit doling out my inspired bits of lyrics, I started to accrue more and more good material.

• Members

Because I'm feeling contrary, I'll take issue with this. Without prescribing anything for anyone, I've got to say the greatest forward leap I've taken in my 15 years of writing (and trying to write) was when I decided to put everything I had into whatever song I was working on, in the faith that there would be more "raw material" to work with later. Once I quit doling out my inspired bits of lyrics, I started to accrue more and more good material.

Good point and duly noted. Leave nothing behind. Give it all ya got.

Archived