Presence knob

roughtrade

• Members

Presence and Depth/Resonance controls are related to the power amplifier not your pre amplifier.

Doug Roccaforte gave an awesome detailed description a few threads ago about it but in general you'll hear more high end sparkle with presence and more boomy lows with depth.

• Members

Presence and depth/resonance controls control the amount of the high and low frequencies to feed back through the phase inverter again. The Negative Feedback loop does this. Basically adds treble or bass in those frequencies in the poweramp.

• Members
It's rare these days, but there are a few circuits

where the Presence control is not part of the poweramp.

Usually it is, but not always.

The idea is; presence is like moving the high frequencies forward.

Kinda like a final mixer EQ.

Thanks for the correction. :thu:

• Members

So I am turning up or down the higher harmonics of my pitches. If I turn them up the higher harmonics can be heard above the lower harmonics, if I turn the presence down the lower frequency harmonics are more apparent. Is this the idea? Or am I shaping the tone of my fundamental pitch?

• Members

So I am turning up or down the higher harmonics of my pitches. If I turn them up the higher harmonics can be heard above the lower harmonics, if I turn the presence down the lower frequency harmonics are more apparent. Is this the idea? Or am I shaping the tone of my fundamental pitch?

wat

• Members

As I just pointed out, not all presence circuits are in the poweramp.

The ones that are, are a "high pass" filter in the feedback loop

decoupling the loop at high frequencies. Thats what 90% of them do.

Yeah okay. The traditional way as far as I know. You control the amount frequencies that feedback by the presence knob, the hi-pass filter.

• Members

Presence is the dial you use to brighten or darken the tone of your amp based upon the room you are playing in. If it's a dark room, more presence, if it's a bright room, less prescence.

• Members
Presence is the dial you use to brighten or darken the tone of your amp based upon the room you are playing in. If it's a dark room, more presence, if it's a bright room, less prescence.

What about a White Room?:lol:

I searched the forum and I think I found my answer, apparently it is like EQ but after the power stage and it adds a boost to frequencies above 4kHz or so.

Thanks all, especially Roccaforte Amps!

• Members

THIS. The presence knob controls the amps PRESENCE. ^ That is the best explanation of the presence knob. The technical information does not serve a purpose to a player. Only a tech.

Archived