Speaker is buzzing, help?

vash_08

• Members

One of the speakers in my cab buzzes whenever I play, it isn't too bad, except when I am playing low notes on the clean channel of my amp.

The only way I can get it to stop buzzing is if I push in on the dust cap, then it sounds fine until I stop pushing on it. Is there an easy fix for this?

• Members

Um, why are you pushing the dust cap while you're playing?? Not being an ass just sorta wondering.

If its a front mounted cab it could be that the speaker is loose and you pushing it in is solving it.

Since you've got EW as your avatar im guessing you are downtuning and playing Doom? What cab is it? Has this just started?

• Members

i've tightened up the screws and everything,

I removed the speaker from the cab, and played to see if there was anything wrong, I know absolutely nothing about speakers so I kinda just started poking around, that's how i noticed it worked when i pushed on the dust cap.

it just started doing this about a week ago,

yeah, i play lots of high gain, feedback riffs, tuned 2 and 1/2 steps down. could the insane gain and high volumes have been what caused the speaker to start buzzing?

and it is a cheap randall cab that I got about a year ago.

Sounds like the voice coil is dragging. Time for a new speaker.

Jerry

there is no way to fix it or anything? or is there a good way to verify that this is the problem?

• Members

Also an option is that the dust cap glued off partially and is causing the buzzing. I experienced that once and it's an easy fix with any good tech plus the speaker is as good as before.

I also had an buzzing greenback that I got traded in and also had it repaired. Forgot what was wrong with that one, they assured me that it would be as before, dunno frankly...

But if it's the glued off cap it can be as before sonically, so check that out.

• Members

Hi, you have voice coil rub. This happens when the speaker cone (suspension) gets old or worn in and shifts and causes the voice coil to rub. Sometimes it can be fixed (for a while at least) by simply turning the speaker upside down from the orientation it is currently at.

Older speakers are more susceptible to this as they are made with closer tolerances. This is more rare on newer drives as the gap is larger..

You can (kind of) test for this by applying equal pressure around the speaker cone and pushing in, if you hear a scratching sound then its voice coil rub. But remember even on a brand new speaker if you try this and don't apply equal pressure you can get the scratching too...

• Members

well, I popped the dust cap inwards, and it sounds fine right now, I assume this is just a temporary fix though, but that is all I can do right now, with no money to take it in for repair, or to buy a new speaker.

Will this harm the speaker in any way?

• Members

Hi, you have voice coil rub. This happens when the speaker cone (suspension) gets old or worn in and shifts and causes the voice coil to rub.
Sometimes it can be fixed (for a while at least) by simply turning the speaker upside down from the orientation it is currently at.

Older speakers are more susceptible to this as they are made with closer tolerances. This is more rare on newer drives as the gap is larger..

You can (kind of) test for this by applying equal pressure around the speaker cone and pushing in, if you hear a scratching sound then its voice coil rub. But remember even on a brand new speaker if you try this and don't apply equal pressure you can get the scratching too...

That has worked for me several times.

Archived