Tell Me About Budda Amps

TheArtofBalence

• Members

I have an SD 45, great simple no BS amp. If you like to tweak knobs, not the amp for you, if you like to plug in and play, go for it! Killer tones, both clean and dirty. Very responsive to the touch and pick attack. FWIW, I traded in a Soldano HR50+ for mine and do not regret it..........yet. :wave:

• Members

again, peavey is only in for the distribution

No, not just distribution, Budda has contracted with Peavey to also build their amps. I have known the guys at Budda since their start.

Early on, Budda made a similar contract with Dunlop to build their wahs.

Hey, at least it's still made in the US, if anyone cares.

• Members

Yes, it's true, Peavey is now building their amps.

There is a review on TGP of a SD18 pre & post Peavey build.

oh & btw, I
:love:
my SD18 II, SD80 & Twinmaster

Thought I'd chime in with my comparison: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=545597

Bottom line, the new Buddas are awesome! No compromises with Peavey production whatsoever; Budda is still very much in control of all aspects of their amps.

• Members

For those who don't want to follow the link, here's the full review:

I was able to spend some significant time reviewing and comparing the new Peavey made Budda Superdrive 18 II Combo so I thought I'd start a thread with my findings.

Let me start by first detailing the basis for this review/comparison. I had on hand three Budda Superdrive 18 II Combos. One from 2005, one from 2008, and one Peavey made Budda from 2009. Throughout the process, entire tube sets and speakers were swapped in order to eliminate any perceived differences in the amps they may have imparted. This allowed me to examine only the tonal differences in each amp. All amps were stock except the 2008, which has the channel balance mod (potentiometer; installed by me; only affects the drive channel).

I invited a friend who is a studio engineer and guitar player over to be a second set of ears. I used my Parker Fly Deluxe and Fender Strat (69 CS pickups) and he brought his PRS McCarty Soapbar. By the end of the tests, we were in agreement on what I

• Members

I had a Superdrive II 18 watter for a few weeks. It had a very high quality, very *refined* sound. I didn't hear as much "Marshall" in it as others have, fwiw & ymmv.

I ended up selling it, not because it it didn't sound good -- it sounded great -- but because I wanted a little more raw-ness, a little more raunch, and the SDII seemed so "clean." I don't mean in terms of gain...plenty of gain. But even the distorted sounds seemed clean and refined.

In the end, I thought it was a fantastic sounding, well-made amp that just wasn't right for my music/style/tones. I thought it would be perfect for blues & blues-rawk, but it was too nice, literally, for my 70s/80s (and admittedly questionable) tastes.

C

That is my exact situation.

I bought a Brand New Superdrive 18 1x12 combo last week for $925, SCREAMING DEAL:thu:

Yes, it has alot of gain, but not quite enough fizz or raunch, it is a very refined gain.

If you make a mistake or miss a note, everyone will know.

I find I need to boost the gain channel and then it will get me the gain I want.

But, on its own it is too refined and articulate.

I don't think I will return it, I can easily get my money back later if I decide it is not for me, but make no mistake, it is a great amp with stellar tone.

I have a Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo on pre-order, that might be the flavor I am looking for.

Howard

• Members

Well, I ended up returning the Budda today 5/22/09.

I bought a Marshall JVM 215C 1x12 combo from a Forum member.

I should have it in about a week.

I played the Marshall at a local Music store and the gain blew me away in the few minutes I had with it.

Once I get it, I will try to find the TONE.

The Budda had the Tone, but not the gain I was looking for.

Howard

• Members

Man that is the best part! sorry it didn't jive with you. To each his own.

I did like that, but it is not my main thing, so....

I had to go to what makes me smile more often:)

I like alot of gain, amp produced gain, not requiring pedals to go from Blues, to classic rock, to 80s glam, to metal.

The Budda does it what it does VERY WELL, Chimey Cleans and Crunchy Distortion, but it does not go past there without pedals.

I will miss the Budda Tone though.

Archived