NCD: Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412B

mincy

• Members

Haven't tried them yet. I'm going to be doing a lot of swapping over the next week. I didn't have time to do much yesterday, so I started with the V30s, just as a baseline. My guess (based on my experience with the V30s), the Hellatones will be available soon.

Hey, before you write off the V30s, rewire your cab to 16 ohms. I have done the 16/4 ohm rewiring thing MANY times with many speakers. Most benefit from the added tightness of 4 ohms, EXCEPT the V30s. At 4 ohms, you lose a little of the extreme top and bottom, so the mids get emphasized. Since the V30 is already all about midrange with not much true top or bottom, it makes it harsh. Works great for 75s, 80s, 65s, etc. Not V30s IMO.

Try it !!!

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Haven't tried them yet. I'm going to be doing a lot of swapping over the next week. I didn't have time to do much yesterday, so I started with the V30s, just as a baseline. My guess (based on my experience with the V30s), the Hellatones will be available soon.

I remember reading some posts from you about that. In all honesty, I don't even know what the Golds are supposed to sound like. Though, I'm not opposed to spending the money if I think it will get me what I want.

I was on the Alnico Gold fence for awhile. I'm much happier using them in a Mills Afterburner and glad I didn't try/use them in another cab. The Mills 412B is the perfect compliment for the Alnico Gold speaker. Dave offered some comments about them before I purchased and tested the cab before shipping. I own a few different cabs and speakers so the Golds seemed like the best new speaker to try. The golds have lots of harmonically rich midrange, tight, rounded +balanced lows, mids, highs. They are a fantastic speaker.

• Members

Hey, before you write off the V30s, rewire your cab to 16 ohms. I have done the 16/4 ohm rewiring thing MANY times with many speakers. Most benefit from the added tightness of 4 ohms, EXCEPT the V30s. At 4 ohms, you lose a little of the extreme top and bottom, so the mids get emphasized. Since the V30 is already all about midrange with not much true top or bottom, it makes it harsh. Works great for 75s, 80s, 65s, etc. Not V30s IMO.

Try it !!!

So changing the ohms on a speaker (via wiring it in series or parallel) really changes the characteristics of the speaker (generally speaking)?

• Members

Since you got it unloaded did you happen to get any pics of the inside? Detailed pics would be awesome. I'm going to get a Mills after I raise the cash, but in the meantime I want to see what they do to make them sound so good and try to mod my Marshall 1960 in a similar fashion to see if it helps make it sound better.

• Members

Since you got it unloaded did you happen to get any pics of the inside? Detailed pics would be awesome. I'm going to get a Mills after I raise the cash, but in the meantime I want to see what they do to make them sound so good and try to mod my Marshall 1960 in a similar fashion to see if it helps make it sound better.

Yeah, I took some shots of the insides (the bracing and such) before I threw any speakers in. I'll get them up sometime tonight after I get home from work.

• Members

So changing the ohms on a speaker (via wiring it in series or parallel) really changes the characteristics of the speaker (generally speaking)?

Yes ! It certainly won't make it sound like a entirely different speaker but generally 16 ohms makes for a more full frequency, sweeter sound & slightly looser. All parallel @ 4 ohms really emphasizes the mids/upper mids. More grindy & tight. Since V30s have abundant upper mids already, they get really obnoxious in the upper mids when wired all parallel at 4 ohms.

This effect is more noticable when using some amps over others.

• Members

Despite me not liking them, I'd agree with this. They sound as good as I've ever heard them in a Mills cab. I'm still putting some else in there though.
:cop:

I have played v30 in alot of cabs and just don't care for them.my last experience was with my cousins v3 loaded bogner 412.his other bogner with the h30xv30 sounded way better.I'm figuring no cab is going to make me dig the v30 thing.

• Members

This effect is more noticable when using some amps over others.

I know nothing about electronics, so I could be completely off here, but if I recall from some reading I've done, this was the case.

Again, someone please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong, but speakers sound identical, regardless of the ohms. However, your amp might feel different depending on which ohm jack you use, as the transformer reacts a touch differently if you plug into the 16 ohm jack versus the 4 ohm, for example.

For me, I've honestly never noticed a difference on any amp I've owned. My Peavey, Engl and Soldano all sounded identical no matter what you did ohm-wise. I have heard lots of Mesa owners claim that they get relatively noticabe differences from their amps though (particular Mark series owners).

Who knows, it is a widely debated topic. All things considered, though, despite internal debate, things like switching ohms and changing tubes make VERY minor differences. If you are looking for some desired effect, your best bet is to change your amp, speakers/cab or pickups. Those are the three biggest contributers to your sound. Oh, and your playing of course.

• Members

Again, someone please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong, but speakers sound identical, regardless of the ohms. However, your amp might feel different depending on which ohm jack you use, as the transformer reacts a touch differently if you plug into the 16 ohm jack versus the 4 ohm, for example.

For me, I've honestly never noticed a difference on any amp I've owned. My Peavey, Engl and Soldano all sounded identical no matter what you did ohm-wise. I have heard lots of Mesa owners claim that they get relatively noticabe differences from their amps though (particular Mark series owners).

You're right, its highly debatable. I find 8 ohm speakers, compared to the same model @ 16 ohms, have a bolder, punchier sound with more low mid thickness. 16 ohm speakers are a little more laid back with more air in the high end. To the best of my knowledge, there is only one constructional detail that makes a speaker measure 8 or 16 ohms; the voice coil wire (could be a different part, my apologies if it is). Its thicker on a 8 ohm model. Difference in construction usually equals a difference in tone/response, however slight.

I've read that many amp manufactures agree with my statement. Also many that don't. Perhaps the ones that don't happen to make amps where its not as noticable ? Not that they're wrong or anything. However, I can say for sure Mesa thinks there's a difference, as I've read it and talked to them about it. Bogner didn't make the Uberkab 8 ohms, after years of manufacturing 16 ohm cabs & purposely mismatching their 4x12 product lineup, just for the hell of it.

• Members

**** Pics added in the first post. ****

Congrats man. What was the total elapsed time between when you ordered it, to when it arrived on your doorstep? I'm trying to figure out how much longer I have to wait.
:)

I ordered it 4/13 and received it 5/13. A month on the nose, start to finish.

• Members

wow. i was expecting some crazy engineering inside.

a sideways ported baffle joining front to back and right angle brackets to reinforce.

gonna go downstairs and mod my cab. be right back.

I kind of agree.... where's the elf-en magic??

• Members

I kind of agree.... where's the elf-en magic??

The magic is in the internet hype. ASSFX anyone? :cop:

Seriously though I'd like to know what makes these sound so different. My mesas have a brace that goes to the back... so short of some brackets on the inside that theoretically shouldn't do anything unless you have open air seeping in at the seams...

Also OP i noticed you said it makes the Mesas seem weak and puny. What part of this cab makes this the case? I don't see how you could build a sturdier cab than a Mesa short of making it out of solid metal. Serious question by the way.

• Members

wow. i was expecting some crazy engineering inside.

Nope, nothing crazy, just recalculated dimensions, high-quality materials, and some unique modifications. The physics of speaker enclosures are very touchy, in that minor minor tweaks can go a long way because of how the speaker works.

This is why it drives me crazy that 99.9% of companies carbon copy a 1960A, slap their logo on it, and call it "their" cabinet. The music industry has this debilitating idea that older is better and just builds off of past designs. In actuality, original designs, in amps, cabs, gutiars, whatever, all have inherent flaws and because of this backwards thinking mentality, many of those flaws just get adopted into new designs. Things like cabs farting out, amps needing to be cranked to sound good, guitars that don't have perfect intonation, they're all flaws that have been passed down now for nearly 40 years.

I have a lot of respect for guys like Mills who're willing to start from stratch, from the ground up, to build something new and weed out those inherited flaws, regardless of how minor they seem. If more people in the industry thought that way we'd have some epic toanz. :thu:

• Members

Well since it appears dimensions are the biggest difference between this cab and another of high build quality, exactly what modification makes it fill up the whole room like it's got a speaker pointing everywhere or something?

I can see different response, better projection etc, but with a box with the same speakers as any other cab I just don't get how spread and directional properties can change.

• Members

Well since it appears dimensions are the biggest difference between this cab and another of high build quality, exactly what modification makes it fill up the whole room like it's got a speaker pointing everywhere or something?

I can see different response, better projection etc, but with a box with the same speakers as any other cab I just don't get how spread and directional properties can change.

Go to any hi-fi audio forum and the answer to this question will be posted everywhere. Placebo-effect or whatever you want to call it is the reason everybody claims these cabs have room filling properties. Most 'A/B' comparisons aren't truely A/B comparisons if the person comparing is making the changes. If you are expecting or even hoping that a speaker or cabinet will sound better or different, then your mind will subconciously make it sound different. in other words; you hear what you want to hear. I'd like to see a true A/B double blind comparison where sombody is switching cabs back and forth between the same amplifier while the person playing the guitar cannot see what cab is being hooked up and then lets see what the reviews are then.

Am I saying all those reviews are false? No, they could very well be true for all I know since I haven't played a Mills yet. I'm merely explaining how the mind is biased with "A/B" comparisons.

Archived