JCM900 sl-x

Beasleyboy

• Members

Hey guys I may have a chance to trade my DC-10 for a 100 watt sl-x and I was wondering what your opinions are. I absolutely love the cleans and versatility of the DC-10, but how do the heavy tones of the sl-x stack up to the DC-10 (boosted)? How would it sound through a recto 4x12?

• Members

I had one for a year and a half and went via a 5150 to Mark IV's. The SL-X is a very decent Marshall with a great hardrock sound, but it's nowhere near as tight as a mark IV or 5150. It's also less punchy. It's JCM 800 with an extra gainstage. It's a great amp, but play/listen to it and then make up your mind.

• Members

Awesome amp.
The clean channel isnt Thaaaaaaat bad but its not the best.
The only down I have on mine is the white noise.
Ive had my tech go through the thing multiple times and it still has more white noise than all my other marshalls combined.

• Members

Awesome amp.

The clean channel isnt Thaaaaaaat bad but its not the best.

The only down I have on mine is the white noise.

Ive had my tech go through the thing multiple times and it still has more white noise than all my other marshalls combined.

According to Michael Keaton, that would mean that there are spirits trapped in the amp. Probably the OPT.

• Members

I had one for a year and a half and went via a 5150 to Mark IV's. The SL-X is a very decent Marshall with a great hardrock sound, but it's nowhere near as tight as a mark IV or 5150. It's also less punchy.
It's JCM 800 with an extra gainstage.
It's a great amp, but play/listen to it and then make up your mind.

You could consider them that if you disregarded the differences in input, the differences in the eq input, and the differences in the poweramp take more treble out of the SL-X....

• Members

Hey guys I may have a chance to trade my DC-10 for a 100 watt sl-x and I was wondering what your opinions are. I absolutely love the cleans and versatility of the DC-10, but how do the heavy tones of the sl-x stack up to the DC-10 (boosted)? How would it sound through a recto 4x12?

one of the best live tones i've heard was from an SL-X. cuts right through. wonderful amps!

• Members

If you want versatility don't go for it, SL-x is a one channel amp as you probably know. Also, while it is able to do clean tone it's just that - clean. Very one dimensional clean (for a lack of better description) but that's not where it shines. Like someone said if you want thrash go for it. It will also do good dirty blues sounds and all kinds of rock.

Is also built better than most of the stuff nowadays if that's important to you.

• Members

Ya the DC-10 is built like a tank also and I love the versatility of it, but the high gain sounds just isn't really doing it for me...I don't really care for the scooped sound of the 6l6's so I'm thinking I might like the marshall a bit better

• Members

Ya the DC-10 is built like a tank also and I love the versatility of it, but the high gain sounds just isn't really doing it for me...I don't really care for the scooped sound of the 6l6's so I'm thinking I might like the marshall a bit better

Unless the SL-X has had the bias section modified, you may want to look elsewhere. They come equipped with 5881 power tubes.

Archived