Any Vista 64 users?

satannica

• Members

. From what I've read, although not officially supposted by Ableton it works just fine on this OS. What do you Vista 64 users use? I'm looking for something along the lines of a firebox.

Live 7 works fine, Live 4 had some issues in ReWire and with performance. I use an RME Hammerfall audio interface.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just put Windows 7 RC on my laptop and its so much quicker than XP, great OS. Just dont like how it looks yet, the new taskbar gets annoying quickly I find. How do you turn it off?

You can change some settings from the Taskbar/Start menu preferences. I still recommend you get used to it because it works much better than the old Taskbar. With a laptop's limited screen space you might consider putting it on the left or right. Finally the taskbar works in that position as well.

• Members

Try the Echo AudioFire 4. I've had mine for a few years now and it has worked 100% in XP, Vista 64-bit, Win7 64-bit and OSX 10.5.x. Very solid drivers. I use it as my only soundcard for things like games and movies too.

Thanks for the suggestion, that looks like a nice unit. I like the 4 ins/outs and firewire interface(s)

Two questions:

Does the firewire interface work well with Vista 64? I've read that some people have issues with the two.

I've also read that a post where someone had issues with VSTi using the AF (here). I'm not sure what the actual issue was, but it had something to do with latency and I do use VSTi with Superior Drummer 2. Do you have any experience using the Audiofire with VSTis?

• Members

Thanks for the suggestion, that looks like a nice unit. I like the 4 ins/outs and firewire interface(s)

Two questions:

Does the firewire interface work well with Vista 64? I've read that some people have issues with the two.

I've also read that a post where someone had issues with VSTi using the AF (
). I'm not sure what the actual issue was, but it had something to do with latency and I do use VSTi with Superior Drummer 2. Do you have any experience using the Audiofire with VSTis?

Yes, it worked fine with Vista 64-bit. Also never had problems with any VST stuff I've tried with it. I used EzDrummer and that worked just fine. I've usually been able to set the buffers to something like 2-4 ms latency without problems. At that point at least I don't notice any delay in sound.

• Members

OK
My question to any of you Vista x64 users is what do you use forantivirus / firewall?
I notice it is kind of hard to find anything robust for the x64 os's
I may have to splurg for Kaspersky but I like FREE better :thu:

• Members
OK

My question to any of you Vista x64 users is what do you use for
antivirus / firewall?

I may have to splurg for Kaspersky but I like FREE better
:thu:

if you dont know about avast or never used avast, you live under a rock and are still rocking a 386.

• Members

OK

My question to any of you Vista x64 users is what do you use for
antivirus / firewall?

I may have to splurg for Kaspersky but I like FREE better
:thu:

I don't use an antivirus with Vista or Win7. Waste of resources IMO.

I like running a software firewall so I know what's connecting to the 'net etc. I use Comodo with just the firewall component installed. To install it on Win7 the installer must be run in Vista SP1 compatibility mode with Run as Administrator.

• Members

I wouldn't get Vista.

I would go with either XP, Windows 7 or XP 64bit.

I use xp64 and like it. Itunes doesn't work with my iPhone, but it seems very stable.

xp64 is horrifically unstable and the software support for it sucks cock.

you're retarded if you think it's better than vista x64 SP2

• Members

I like running a software firewall so I know what's connecting to the 'net etc. I use Comodo with just the firewall component installed. To install it on Win7 the installer must be run in Vista SP1 compatibility mode with Run as Administrator.

you should always, always, always run an antivirus.

avast uses very few resources, and if you have half a {censored}ing brain and listen to me and go overboard with your memory, you'll never have a resource problem to begin with.

• Members

avast uses very few resources, and if you have half a {censored}ing brain and listen to me and go overboard with your memory, you'll never have a resource problem to begin with.

Many antivirus programs are total resource hogs. I hate the way my work computer (with XP) totally crawls because of the F-Secure {censored} on it. Even those that aren't are a waste of space to me. The primary purpose of antivirus programs these days is to keep the user from doing stupid {censored}. The ability of some people to clog up their machines is uncanny.

I'm not an average user though so I haven't used an antivirus software for several years and haven't had a single malware on my systems.

Most malware, when using fairly secure operating systems like Vista and Win7, require user interaction to install in the first place. Thus they are often disguised as something else, like the one that disguised itself as an antivirus program of all things. Most of them are also the kind that tries to download more crap on your computer, which is where the software firewall comes in and stops that.

• Members

this times infinity.

if i had a hammer with this post etched in it i would bash it several thousand times into people heads who dont use antivirus for whatever reason.

• Members

I haven't run one personally in years, and I'm not about to start. No antivirus will ever catch the kinds of viruses that are likely to get past my safe computing habits.

The only way to get no viruses is to keep your PC off the net and never install anything untrustworthy (and that includes plugging in USB sticks that have been at "unsafe" computers).

• Members

The only way to get no viruses is to keep your PC off the net and never install anything untrustworthy (and that includes plugging in USB sticks that have been at "unsafe" computers).

no {censored} sherlock.

and if you ever go to a website that has ads, you are at risk of getting a virus.

i've gotten virus warnings from the main yahoo page before. no website is safe.

• Members

no {censored} sherlock.

and if you ever go to a website that has ads, you are at risk of getting a virus.

i've gotten virus warnings from the main yahoo page before. no website is safe.

I haven't seen an ad in years. Firefox + noscript ftw.

• Members

I haven't run one personally in years, and I'm not about to start. No antivirus will ever catch the kinds of viruses that are likely to get past my safe computing habits.

photobucket has been hacked before and distributed malware. that's a "safe" site, and yet people were still infected. if i didn't have an antivirus i would have been infected as well.

thinking you're infallible is asinine. you should protect yourself.

• Members

I haven't seen an ad in years. Firefox + noscript ftw.

i would bet that if you ran a scan on your machine it would pick {censored} up.

safe > sorry

i'll happily run an antivirus on any machine i'm on. i'm not worried about the 25 meg footprint that avast has on my machine with 8 GIGS of memory.

• Members

thinking you're infallible is asinine. you should protect yourself.

Thinking the antivirus software is infallible is equally retarded. The worst viruses are the ones that the AV software firms don't yet know about.

Anyway, security in Vista is a lot tighter than it has ever been, and even when I ran Win2K previously I never, ever had a virus infection.

I don't say that I don't protect myself. I just don't do it with resource-hogging and next-to-useless AV software.

• Members

Thinking the antivirus software is infallible is equally retarded. The worst viruses are the ones that the AV software firms don't yet know about.

Anyway, security in Vista is a lot tighter than it has ever been, and even when I ran Win2K previously I never, ever had a virus infection.

I don't say that I don't protect myself. I just don't do it with resource-hogging and next-to-useless AV software.

i still don't get where you're seeing this resource hogging.

right now on my work laptop symantec endpoint is using all of 6 megs of memory.

• Members

For a firewall, I am just going to use my old linux box and run IPCOP like I use to do. But I will check out Comodo as well to see how that is. ThankS!:thu:

• Members

i still don't get where you're seeing this resource hogging.

I saw it a lot back when I stopped using it, which is probably about 10 years ago. I still see it a LOT at work when the weekly full scans run. I run software that requires a lot of disk access. My computer becomes unusable for these tasks while the scan is running.

If that's the current state-of-the-industry, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Data & programs nicely separated, safe surfing habits, and re-imaging the thing when it looks like something is compromised.

Whenever a big scare occurs I do tend to run the diagnostic utilities (for example when there might have been a window in my updates that left a vulnerability). If it's fishy, re-image, and presto I have a clean new PC.

To me, anti-virus is kind of like meteor strike insurance. The chances are pretty slim in the first place (for someone with my habits), and if one SHOULD hit the insurance probably wouldn't help me anyway.

Archived