Apple vs Orange?

tidalwaveGB

• Members

Apple: Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo

Orange: Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo

I guess this question is about open-back vs. closed-back combos, and a few other things that set these amps apart. I have only ever owned and played open-backs, such as the Classic 30, which I play right now. Volume-wise, it works great for me, even in a full band setting (although I sometimes will run it through a 2X12 or 4X12 for added depth). My biggest problem, however, is the lack of definition in the low-end- it just sounds flubby if I use too much gain. As for cleans, I love the break-up I get when I crank it- nice sustain, suited for classic rock stuff, and it gets even better if I feed it with some sort of volume boost.

So, the Classic 30 works for me in certain ways, but really fails for me in others. I need an amp with more gain, and more modern tone suited for heavier sounds. I want the grind that the Classic 30 doesn't have, and I'm not looking to spend much more than the Classic cost me, and I really want to stick with the same 112 format ( I like the size, portability and ability to run the speaker out to a larger cab, if necessary).

I know that the 6505+ 112 isn't even out yet, but could anyone (who has played at least a similar type of amp) give me an idea of how these amps would compare volume-wise?

I ask, since the 6505+ is 60w, uses different tube types, has a closed back, different circuit/transformer, etc. Will this amp be able to perform in a band setting, without having to connect it to a bigger cab? I understand that open-back amps are known for bigger sound dispersion, and closed-back will give better projection and tighter lows, right? So can I expect one amp to sound louder than the other? Will the 6505+ sound bigger than the Classic 30?

(Sorry if its kind of a stupid question, its still kinda early in the AM for me ...:cool:)

• Members

You shouldnt have any problems with it performing with a band. If it is anything at all like the 212, that {censored} is loud, and will drown out a drummer real quick, so volume should be a non issue. You shouldnt need a separate cab either, unless you are playing unmic'ed...IDK if it will sound bigger exactly, but it will have a lot more low end and should have a certain thump too it.

Archived