speakers for my dsl

Jcm800_6550

• Members
so how is that tube set you got , nice tonez? and are the rca's expensive there nos right?

Tubes I got in there are really a great combination for blues to hard rock tones.

The RFT in V1 is the biggest contributor to the overall tone I'm getting. The RCA's fill it out nicely. The neat thing about NOS is how well they handle plate voltages compared to the new production stuff. Makes them really durable. They can get too expensive though. I just want what sounds good and has some durability...

Jerry likes the Mullard RI's pre and power in the DSL. I really like how smooth they are.

I use Mullard RI's and Tung Sol's in V1 or V2 at times. I think they sound good. It will be a very sad day when all the RFT's are gone though. In V1 it is magic in a Marshall. I can't tell you any more cause you might want to buy one and that takes it off my plate...you understand...:cop:

What tubes are you running in yours? What kind of music do you play? I don't remember if you already stated that but it will help in deciding what speakers to get too.

• Members
the power is old =c= el34 and the preamp tubes are a old tungsol in the v1 and 3 stock marshall tubes from 04 so my tubes are totally {censored} balls at the moment lol,

So its time to fresh'n them up then.:lol:

What are you thinking of getting?

• Members

have NO idea lmao, but my music style is slash-zakk wylde type tones i love the mid gain crunch i hate metal saturation, so i guess my

perfect tone is early zakk wylde like ozzy years

i dont like his bls tone though

Well if you ever need any suggestions just PM me. I got some ideas...

Once you freshen them tubes up you may find your speakers are just fine. I've never used them but I hear good things about the G-65's.

• Members

well to be honest i like the tone im getting out of this amp already thats why im really excited about new tubes, your suggestions would be awesome, what are you thinking about?

I would stay with the Winged C for power tubes unless you need to spend less money cause you are getting 4 of them. If you want to save a little go with the Ruby El34BSTR's(Matched Quad $78). Great power tubes.

This is what I'd get for preamp tubes:

V1-RFT 12AX7/$40

V2-Mullard RI or Tung Sol/$18 & $15

V3-Mullard RI/$18

PI-Sovtec LPS/$11

I have heard of some problems with running a Tung Sol or a Mullard RI in V3 which is a cathode follower. They may not handle the current in that slot but I have had neither {censored} on me yet. Chinese 9th generation($10.50)are good and I like the AC5's($11.50)which are Chinese as well. Do not get JJ's if you plan on using an RFT in V1.

The Sovtec LPS is the only Sovtec I would use and only in the PI position. It is a no no in a cathode follower slot(V3). I thought it sounded good in V1 but I keep it in the PI.

• Members

have NO idea lmao, but my music style is slash-zakk wylde type tones i love the mid gain crunch i hate metal saturation, so i guess my

perfect tone is early zakk wylde like ozzy years

You should have bought an Ampeg VL. You can pretty much nail that tone with that amp plus you get great cleans.

• Members

could you tell me the tonal qualities of these?

RFT- Nice low mid crunch. Warm sounding. Smok'n tube! Here's another guys comments that I find pretty right on:

"German valve that I have seen also branded Brimar, Siemens & Telefunken. This tube was also used for a long period by Marshall. The valve has

a rich bass response with great drive. Very low in microphonics due to thick glass envelope. The valve also distorts earlier than the U.S.A types.

The valve does show less treble response than the U.S.A types which lends the valve to be used in a more rock style set up. The rich harmonic

distortion make this a great valve in Marshall. Boogie and Vox amps. It showed rich sustain with plenty of bass crunch. Mid range was clear and

detailed. Defiantly for the rockers and blues players."

The Mullards have less gain on tap and they sound smooth to me. The Tung Sol offer alot of gain and have more lows and highs. Come to think of it you could put it in V2 instead of the Mullard RI. Either way both work well. The LPS is well balanced in the lows, mids and highs. Good amount of gain. The Chinese tubes have strong gain and overall frequency seemed to me balanced, sounds good in a DSL.

• Members

bout the eminence's u think theyl sound better than my 65's if not then HELL YEAH ALL I NEED IS TUBES

are you going to put speaker in your cab solely based on someone else's opinion of the speaker alone?

why did you mention V30?

Archived