What is your favorite tele bridge pup?

Say Ocean

• Members

My favorite currently, i almost ashamed to say, is a rail humbucker.

The 60 cycle hum was driving me bonkers, and i don't know why, as it never really bothers me on a strat.:confused:

But a low output humbucker has been a good compromise for me. Still get good cleans, get no hum, and it has an overdrive characteristic with heavier distortion that i prefer to a proper single coil.

It is a different vibe than the classic tele sound though. Of course i hardly ever do anything "normally" anyhow, so a purist guitar setup probably was never in the cards for me. I also prefer the modern style six saddle bridge. :idk:

-chris

• Members
My favorite currently, i almost ashamed to say, is a rail humbucker.

The 60 cycle hum was driving me bonkers, and i don't know why, as it never really bothers me on a strat.
:confused:

But a low output humbucker has been a good compromise for me. Still get good cleans, get no hum, and it has an overdrive characteristic with heavier distortion that i prefer to a proper single coil.

It is a different vibe than the classic tele sound though. Of course i hardly ever do anything "normally" anyhow, so a purist guitar setup probably was never in the cards for me. I also prefer the modern style six saddle bridge.
:idk:

-chris

you don't like the barrels?! man.. i've never really bonded with a tele with the saddles-- they sound way different to me for some reason! they're a little bitchy to set up, and horshoe/handgrenade in intonation... but oh god the spank!

i'm with y' on the low output bucker though... i REALLY want to try a tele with filtertrons...

• Members

i'm with y' on the low output bucker though... i REALLY want to try a tele with filtertrons...

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on some TV Jones PowerTron's from my Telesonic to replace the Dearmond singles that originally come in that guitar. I've always wanted different pups (especially in the bridge) -- so I'm stoked.

• Members
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on some TV Jones PowerTron's from my Telesonic to replace the Dearmond singles that originally come in that guitar. I've always wanted different pups (especially in the bridge) -- so I'm stocked.

when they come in holler, i'll turn up with the iron and a 6 pack of beer! :lol:

we need to do that anyway! summatime!

• Members
you don't like the barrels?! man.. i've never really bonded with a tele with the saddles-- they sound way different to me for some reason! they're a little bitchy to set up, and horshoe/handgrenade in intonation... but oh god the spank!

I like the way they sound, but I am super super picky about intonation. And i like to play normal chords fingered weird all over the neck. So the way i play, just really brings out the sourness of screwy intonation. The three-barrel was awesome for playing live, it rings out differently for sure, but when it came to recording, well, i was ready to spear it through my wall or monitor by the time i got out the tools to put the modern bridge back on! :mad:

As an aside, one thing i do do that doesn't necessarily "fix" the loss of the barrels, but does add an interesting ringing flavor to the use of modern bridge, is, i don't use string trees on any strings but the high E. It gives some funky overtones, and it allows bending above the nut over a larger stretch of notes. :idk: Worth trying out for modern bridge users IMO. The nut has to be cut just right for it to work without buzzing though.

-chris

• Members
I like the way they
sound
, but I am super super picky about intonation. And i like to play normal chords fingered weird all over the neck. So the way i play, just really brings out the sourness of screwy intonation. The three-barrel was awesome for playing live, it rings out differently for sure, but when it came to recording, well, i was ready to spear it through my wall or monitor by the time i got out the tools to put the modern bridge back on!
:mad:

As an aside, one thing i
do
do that doesn't necessarily "fix" the loss of the barrels, but does add an interesting ringing flavor to the use of modern bridge, is, i don't use string trees on any strings but the high E. It gives some funky overtones, and it allows bending above the nut over a larger stretch of notes.
:idk:
Worth trying out for modern bridge users IMO. The nut has to be cut just right for it to work without buzzing though.

-chris

ahh.... that's a cool fix! like the reverse jazzmaster! :lol:

see-- yer a technician though, and my knowledge of inversions is hopeless unless i find one by mistake.. i'd bet you anything troglodyte hamfist mcgillicudy here wouldn't even notice the intonation :facepalm:

• Members
ahh.... that's a cool fix! like the reverse jazzmaster!
:lol:

see-- yer a technician though, and my knowledge of inversions is hopeless unless i find one by mistake.. i'd bet you anything troglodyte hamfist mcgillicudy here wouldn't even notice the intonation
:facepalm:

I will go on record as saying it is probably better not to notice! Once you start hearing it, it completely messes everything up! Most listeners do not notice. Even live bands, when i hear it, it sounds fine. Meaning there is actually an awful lot of leeway before something that is "out" sounds "badly out".

But when i play it myself, and it rings even slightly sour, it is like stabbing myself in the head. Also, all of that goes out the window when playing with another guitarist though. If they don't hear it, it won't do you any good to!

The real microscope is playing solo, or in certain types of music/production, recording. I certainly wish i heard it less! I don't think most people discern pitch differences fine enough to make my obsessing over them matter at all. I end up intonating my guitar probably about once a month, with the humidity/temperature fluctuations. It is pretty silly.

-chris

Archived