Describe the sunn :o))) model t to me

Say Ocean

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i've been in the room with a few. i never found them super toneful, just REALLY loud. the gain is actually pretty granular-- or at least the ones i;ve heard.

not that they're horrible sounding ... but they really are rediculously, painfully loud. i think that's really the cornerstone to their myth...

• Members

I enjoy loud maps
:o

should qualify...

your brother'll hate you, because last one i ran sound for was so loud even the drummer was inaudible. not joking. so was the bassist, vocalist, and other guitarist, and that's NOT hyperbole. inaudible.

EDIT- oh, that was through a single 412.

• Members

should qualify...

your brother'll hate you, because last one i ran sound for was so loud even the drummer was inaudible. not joking. so was the bassist, vocalist, and other guitarist, and that's NOT hyperbole. inaudible.

EDIT- oh, that was through a single 412.

Don't go giving him ideas, now...

• Members

hey man.. i'm trying to SAVE you!
:lol:

Iz cool.

We playing {censored}ing loud, like, Triple at 2 o'clock on the volume and DSL100 dimed sometimes just for {censored}s and giggles. Sounds like the Model-T would be even louder :lol:

• Members

It's just got to be done sometimes, broski.

I can't wait to crank the HT-5.

Course the volume pales in comparison to a DSL at full tilt.

I just love the sound of the DSL dimed... big meaty low chords on the tele just make it sound like its going to implode, it gets squishy and bloomy and loose but retains some high end jangle.. it's great :rawk:

• Members

Well I've been experimenting a lot. I go for kind of a weird tone with the recto now, especially considering I have {censored}ty sheffields in the cab it's sitting on :o It's actually kind of a middy tone with the top end chopped off and not much gain (to combat the fizzyness of the speakers) and some punchy bass. Its on the clean channel with the gain up boosted.. it's actually a pretty defined, punchy, and manageable tone as opposed to the marshall's bawlz to the wall tone. They go together pretty damn well. Although I do like to mix it up.. the other day I slaved the mesa through the marshall and ran that stereo with the mesa. It was extremely punchy and defined and had a reallyy grinding mid tone. It was really different and odd, but kinda cool :rawk:

I'll post respectable clips once I get a new interface with my brother. What I record doesn't do teh toanz justice :facepalm::cry:

• Members

Iz cool.

We playing {censored}ing loud, like, Triple at 2 o'clock on the volume and DSL100 dimed sometimes just for {censored}s and giggles. Sounds like the Model-T would be even louder

:love:

You are my kind of people.

The Model T really is just as described. It's not the most awesome tone machine on the planet, but it kept up with my buddy's OR120.

• Members

original model t: loud. stupid loud.

sunn.jpg

re-issue model t: normal loud.

DSC_0017.jpg

the original was about 150 watts with a quad of 6550's and alot of headroom, the reissue is 120 with 6l6's. i have one and its really not that loud. i feel like my 800 is louder. russian circles uses the reissue, by the way.

• Members

fail.

Like every good stoner band who knows anything uses Sunn O))). Russian Circle's toan has always felt lifeless and static.

They're like Orange before Orange was Orange.

Fail on your part. Not every Sunn sounds great (certainly not every Model T), and not every stoner band uses them.

• Members

fail.

Like every good stoner band who knows anything uses Sunn O))). Russian Circle's toan has always felt lifeless and static.

Problem with that is Russian Circles don't play real Model T's. They play the reissues that were made by Fender. The original Sunn didn't have anything to do with the newer ones that Fender put out.

The original one from the 70's is a loud as {censored} single channel monster, the RI from Fender is a 2 channel high(-ish) gainer.

• Members

They're like a darker thicker louder plexi with a little less "vibrance" to the tone.

However, they take pedals amazingly. The most effective use of Model T's that I have seen was to get your dirt from the floor and use the Model T for the power. It works really well.

Archived