How much input is required for an SM57?

Guiary

• Members

Just quickly trying out an SM57 I picked up and I can't seem to get it to register on my recorder.

I'm a recording beginner so I might be using it wrong (which could easily be the case) but when I plug in say a el cheapo OSP SM57 clone or a Shure Beta 58 I get a decent amount of sound, both with the trim pot on my Fostex MR16 about at the half way mark and decently loud on the amp, but when using the SM57 I'm finding that I have to crank the trim pot to full just to get a little blip on my recorder and the sound is ultra buzzy and very quiet.

Does the SM57 require an amp to be nearly full volume in order for it to pickup any sound?

I'm so confused?!?

If this info is needed, the specs of the Fostex inputs are:

Input: -48dBu (MIC)

Thanks,

Gary

• Members

Just quickly trying out an SM57 I picked up and I can't seem to get it to register on my recorder.

I'm a recording beginner so I might be using it wrong (which could easily be the case) but when I plug in say a el cheapo OSP SM57 clone or a Shure Beta 58 I get a decent amount of sound, both with the trim pot on my Fostex MR16 about at the half way mark and decently loud on the amp, but when using the SM57 I'm finding that I have to crank the trim pot to full just to get a little blip on my recorder and the sound is ultra buzzy and very quiet.

Does the SM57 require an amp to be nearly full volume in order for it to pickup any sound?

I'm so confused?!?

If this info is needed, the specs of the Fostex inputs are:

Input: -48dBu (MIC)

Thanks,

Gary

No, I never record anywhere near full volume. With my amps that would be {censored}ing insane anyway.

6505, I record with sm57 on about 2 1/2 or 3.

• Members
No, I never record anywhere near full volume. With my amps that would be {censored}ing insane anyway.

6505, I record with sm57 on about 2 1/2 or 3.

Are you using a preamp for your mic?

Why is mine so quiet :cry:

• Members

It worked fine here anyway. I haven't compared it to the other mic you mentioned though. I just know for a SM57 it was normal. I use a Mackie 1202VLZ3 mixer and I didn't have to crank the input trim.

Is it possible the cable isn't plugging in properly or has dirt on it?

• Members

you need phantom power for the sm57 because it is a condensor mic. there should be a phantom power switch somewhere on your mixer labeled phantom or 48v or something like that. you should never run a condensor that requires phantom power WITHOUT phantom power, as you might damage it.

• Members

you need phantom power for the sm57 because it is a condensor mic. there should be a phantom power switch somewhere on your mixer labeled phantom or 48v or something like that. you should never run a condensor that requires phantom power WITHOUT phantom power, as you might damage it.

:poke:

• Members

It's not a phantom powered mic. It's a dynamic mic. Isn't the sm58 a condenser? The one he has doesn't need phantom.

• Members

I've tried two cables so far with similar results... But I know I must be doing something wrong, even when I tried it through the PA just to talk into I had to turn the master volume and the channel volumes to full in order to hear me tapping the top screen.

The mic looks pristine and I doubt shipping from Manitoba to BC would've done any harm to it. Is there anyway to short these mics out? Looking inside all the wires look well soldered too.

Is there any way of measuring to see if there is a full connection going through?

hmm maybe there was a loose wire, just looking at the yellow wire closer and it became severed to it's connection lol. See I knew I was at fault:facepalm:

I'm going to re-solder both connections just to make sure. Only thing I could think of was my own curiosity opening it up when I first got it and maybe put a little to much stress on on of the wires.

• Members

I've tried two cables so far with similar results... But I know I must be doing something wrong, even when I tried it through the PA just to talk into I had to turn the master volume and the channel volumes to full in order to hear me tapping the top screen.

The mic looks pristine and I doubt shipping from Manitoba to BC would've done any harm to it. Is there anyway to short these mics out? Looking inside all the wires look well soldered too.

Is there any way of measuring to see if there is a full connection going through?

hmm maybe there was a loose wire, just looking at the yellow wire closer and it became severed to it's connection lol. See I knew I was at fault:facepalm:

I'm going to re-solder both connections just to make sure. Only thing I could think of was my own curiosity opening it up when I first got it and maybe put a little to much stress on on of the wires.

Wait I forgot to mention this... And this really depends.

Record your track in your program. Then go to effects or right click the track in your recording program and hit normalize. If my volume is too low on a mic I do that and it normalizes and makes it really loud and I can turn it down then to get it right.

I have to do this most every time. Especially when I'm recording acoustic guitar. It won't be loud enough. It'll be about like you said. After I normalize it's fine.

Archived