How to get Chris Poland solo tone?

scooped-mids

• Members

I hung out with Chris at the Baked Potato one night and he said its pentatonics and the bogner for the violin sound.He doesnt approach them as a blues based scale..Hell I went all the way to Fkin Hollywood to take lessons from him and when I finally got there he ended up bein to busy with writing Circus of sound losing drummers and his big jam hall that it just wasnt going to work out..So I went to MI instead...Quit three weeks later MI is Gay

you can find alot more about him on the chrispoland.com forum..Thats how I hooked up with his manager Steve to get the lessons

• Members

Sorry, Marty Fans, Chris was my favorite MD guitarist by far.

Don't blame you, he's {censored}ing amazing.

I think Return to Metalopolis is better than anything Marty has ever done solo wise.

But Marty definitely had a wider range of phrases and technique to create unique and {censored}ing legendary solos.

Chris has this little technique between two strings that he does in every MD solo.

Where he'll do trills between two strings in different speeds and variations.

He's doing it right at the beginning of the video.

• 10 years later...
  • Members

Resurrecting a very very old thread....

Now we are almost in the 2020s....any new tips on amps, pickups for that ‘reedy’ tone from the Peace Sells album ?

I get that any attempt to “sound like Chris” is doomed to failure unless you have lightning fingers, impeccable picking technique and musicality.....  but forget speed and fingers.... I’m thinking about the notes in the early lead work in Good Mourning. I find that tone absolutely beautiful.

Any tips ?

Archived