HNAsD for me!!!

C-Dawg

• Members

It's Happy New Amps Day for me today!!! Well, I only got one of them in today. The other one came in last Friday, but I haven't had time to post it. Well, here was my old rig:

DSC03402-resized.jpg

From mid last week 'til today, my rig expanded to this:

DSC03808resized.jpg

But wait, what is this little sticker on the back of the Dual Rectifier? :D

DSC03814resized.jpg

I'm pretty happy with my rig. Now all I need to do is start buying cabs instead of amps :facepalm:. Anyways, everything sounds absolutely fantastic. The dual recto sounds better than the 3 channel I had many moons ago. The serial number is 4413, is this a rev. F? It has a parellel loop, but has the small logo up front and the attached power chord. And if you notice, whats up with the speaker plugs on the back? The rev. G's I've seen all have a 16 ohm plug, two 8 ohm plugs, and two 4 ohm plugs. This one is different. I got this guy on ebay

The splawn sounds excellent as well. It has the very big Marshall feel to it, but with more bottom end. The mids are very stiff feeling, but I like it! It is also a very dry amp. I know everyone says this is more saturated than the quickrod, but this is still pretty dry. I really like this amp a lot!!! Everyone says, "You gotta try it with KT-88s", but I really like it with the Tung Sol EL-34Bs. I got this from BionicMark from here on the boards, thanks man!

Needless to say, I'm most likely done with amp whoring for a long while. I'm just a grad student, so my funds have run desert dry. I had to sell a bunch of boost pedals to fund the dual rectifier, but it was worth it. I'm down to only my Little Green Wonder for boosts :cry: . Here is a pic of whats left of my pedalboard:

DSC03815resized.jpg

If you Texas pricks would have the Austin amp fest any other weekend besides Baylor University's homecoming weekend (my wife makes me go with her :facepalm: ), I would bring all of this {censored} down to the ampfest.

Have I done good with my HCAF whoring? I feel like I have. 2 awesome amps in a week, but even the wife approved of these acquisitions! Hurray!

EDIT: The mark III is the same amp as before, I have both a headshell and a combo for it. I move it between both depending on if I need something that I can move quickly for some jamming.

• Members

The Uber is still most win.

Have you played all 3 to know? ;)

The Uber seemed too smooth or compressed or something for me. It had a TON of gain on tap, as well with a monstrous amount of bottom end. But what it didn't have that I really wanted was something with some grind to it. I needed some abrasiveness or some grit. The Uber had none of that. So off it went. The Nitro might have turned into my new #1 amp (bumping off my Mark IIIC+ :eek: ). My Mark III has been my number 1 amp for about 4 years now, so that is saying something.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

how do you like the peakers?

hnad
:thu:

Many people say it is taboo to play splawns with V30s. Well, I must be in the minority because I think the splawn sounds INCREDIBLE through my Mesa 2x12. Yes, I agree that I need to get another cab with some different speakers in it. But, for now I feel that what I have works very well for my needs.

• Members

The Uber seemed too smooth or compressed or something for me. It had a TON of gain on tap,

:p

HNAD dawg. Nice little rig you got going there. I know you're satisfied with the EL34's right now but trust me, the 6550/KT88's must go in there next when you decide to tube swap.

• Members

I like it quite a bit actually. I've had a 3ch Dual Rec in the past and this one is WAY better than it was. It is less brittle and more thick sounding to me. I haven't played around with the clean too much to compare it to my old 3 channel's clean.

Thanks for the PM about the background of the amp. I just thought it was too bizarre that it came from Columbus, Ohio and a lady named Laura had it modded by FJA and it not be yours. I was kinda taken aback by how clean the amp was for being so old. It looks hot
:love:

No problem. I try to take good care of my stuff and I don't smoke (although it saw many, many gigs in clubs when smoking was still permitted). Enjoy!

• Members

HNAsD man! I'd be really interested to try an FJA modded recto to see what changed exactly. In any case enjoy man!

Thanks man, I need to start acquiring some cabs though. I fear I may have to off something to get a second cab. I kinda want to try out a Mills 2x12 with some G12K100s

Archived