How can I get this tone? (Paul Gilbert/RacerX)

Forbidden-Donut

• Members

I'm listening to the Racer X cd "Technical Difficulties". I'm in love with Paul Gilbert's tone here, it's so smooth, crisp, yet still very punchy. A well-rounded tone. Does anyone know what gear he used to record this cd? How can I get this sound? I'm looking to buy a new amp soon and this is the sound I want.

Here's a link to one of the songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBx32XgdTlo&feature=related

• Members

Ibanez with superdistortion bridge and paf pro neck.

Laney GH100

That should about cover most of his Racer X stuff. He has made the switch to Marshall for Silence Followed by a Deafening Roar, and it sounds better to me.

Almost. Laney GH100L through stock Laney 2x12 cabinet. Ibanez PGMs with Dimarzio Tone Zones and/or PAF Pros. He also had an old Lee Jackson-modified Marshall (since sold and pops up on eBay now and again) that might have made it on the record too.

• Members

His tone on that album does rock, but the tone on Superheroes is like Top 10 O f All Time good tone.

Laneys with the Superdistortion and the PAF pro is what I always heard back then as well.

First two albums were Lee Jackson modified Marshall. Supposedly ALL the Shrapnel amps would record with it...Mike Varney insists on it. The tone of the first two is good with the LJ modified Marshallbut sounds a bit thin on rhythms.

• Members

I'm listening to the Racer X cd "Technical Difficulties". I'm in love with Paul Gilbert's tone here, it's so smooth, crisp, yet still very punchy. A well-rounded tone. Does anyone know what gear he used to record this cd? How can I get this sound? I'm looking to buy a new amp soon and this is the sound I want.

Here's a link to one of the songs:

Even better:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Does anyone know what happened to Bruce Bouillet?

• Members

singer is Jeff Martin who also was the drummer for Badlands (voodoo highway) .

gilbert used a bunch of different amps-youd have to ask HIM what was on which album. racer x days was marshall / metaltronix / ADA . After that Laneys . as far as i know.....

• 10 years later...

Archived