OT: Windows 7 - Who here is using it and how is it for you?

ClutchX2

• Members

I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit last night (finally) and I guess it's working out o.k. for me. Some pics arn't showing up and I can't upload pics from my cellphone anymore. Other than that, so far so good. Seems MUCH more stable than Vista. Microsoft's best operating system yet maybe? How is it working out for you guys? :confused:

Also, I read the finally product will be released to OEM's next week.

• Members

I'm waiting for the final product. I heard it was coming out in October. So, that's what I'm waiting for. I get scared of something happening like what happened to you. Not being able to view pics or something. I've got everything I own on an external hard drive though so I'm not worried about losing anything.

I'm going to do a clean install when I get it. I may even wait until service pack 1 happens so I know I won't have no issues. But I'm wanting it pretty bad so I don't know if I will. I'm scared my midi will end up not working or something with it.

• Members

I'm waiting for the final product. I heard it was coming out in October. So, that's what I'm waiting for. I get scared of something happening like what happened to you. Not being able to view pics or something. I've got everything I own on an external hard drive though so I'm not worried about losing anything.

I'm going to do a clean install when I get it. I may even wait until service pack 1 happens so I know I won't have no issues. But I'm wanting it pretty bad so I don't know if I will. I'm scared my midi will end up not working or something with it.

Oh, I'm pretty sure what happend to me is user error. I bet lots of people would say they have no problem with pics. I'll get it figured out. It's a nice os. NOTHING like the nightmare upgrading to Vista was. I honestly think Microsoft MIGHT have gotten it right this time.

For all those who care both Microsoft and Best Buy are offering a Home Premium upgrade to Windows 7 for $49 right now through July 11th I believe. Can't beat that.

• Members

I've been using it since the Beta, and I'm using RC1 right now, build 7100. I absolutely love it. The UI changes (especially the mouse gestures) are great, I dig the new taskbar, and it's faster than my XP machine.

• Members

using it on several machines, very impressed. like it alot and has been very stable.

This has been my assesment thus far also. It does boot up and shut down VERY FAST, at least on my new Asus laptop.

• Members

Oh, I'm pretty sure what happend to me is user error. I bet lots of people would say they have no problem with pics. I'll get it figured out. It's a nice os. NOTHING like the nightmare upgrading to Vista was. I honestly think Microsoft MIGHT have gotten it right this time.

For all those who care both Microsoft and Best Buy are offering a Home Premium upgrade to Windows 7 for $49 right now through July 11th I believe. Can't beat that.

Full version? final? I'm going to go get it today if thats the case.

• Members

Sorry that I don't know too much but is this upgrade disc going to be okay or do I need to wait for the full thing to do a clean install?

What's the main difference? I've heard there are more issues with upgrading rather than a clean install.

• Members

I've been using the 7100 build since they made it available and so far I really like it. The install was fast and everything works. The only hiccup was Line 6's Tone Monkey software not seeing my UX1 but downgrading to an older version (1.26) fixed it. I even have the Aero theme and the UI effects turned on because I saw no performance hit and they look pretty good.

• Members

Sorry that I don't know too much but is this upgrade disc going to be okay or do I need to wait for the full thing to do a clean install?

What's the main difference? I've heard there are more issues with upgrading rather than a clean install.

That used to be the case with XP on down.

With Vista and 7, an upgrade is pretty much a clean install. It doesn't install over the top of the previous OS like the older ones did.

• Members

That used to be the case with XP on down.

With Vista and 7, an upgrade is pretty much a clean install. It doesn't install over the top of the previous OS like the older ones did.

Okay, so all my pictures and music will still be there after the install and it won't take up more hard drive space and keep vista?

Is there an advantage to getting pro over home premium?

• Members

Okay, so all my pictures and music will still be there after the install and it won't take up more hard drive space and keep vista?

Is there an advantage to getting pro over home premium?

Theoretically, yes. I'd backup either way. It will move you existing Windows install to another folder. From there you can hold onto it or delete it.

• Members

Theoretically, yes. I'd backup either way. It will move you existing Windows install to another folder. From there you can hold onto it or delete it.

Well i got everything I own on an external hard drive. so would it be better to just delete it and put it back on there from the external?

Is sonar and ez drummer going to work with it?

• Members

Well i got everything I own on an external hard drive. so would it be better to just delete it and put it back on there from the external?

Is sonar and ez drummer going to work with it?

If you got backups, I'd just do it. Best case, everything carries over. Worst case, you have to copy from the external.

No idea. I still use XP for all my recording stuff because Alesis hasn't released x64 drivers for my interface.

• Members

If you got backups, I'd just do it. Best case, everything carries over. Worst case, you have to copy from the external.

No idea. I still use XP for all my recording stuff because Alesis hasn't released x64 drivers for my interface.

Yeah, I can't use my key rig software because i got 64 bit.

I went to pre order the software and it doesn't tell me if it's 64 bit or 32 bit.

• Members

Ran Win7 on this netbook to test it out. Works great. Also ran it on a low-powered desktop, and it worked great. (Tested both 32/64.) Overall, Win7 is Vista. The only difference is driver + software already written for Vista, which means it'll work on Win7. Sure there's the new taskbar, and if you have lesser hardware it scales slightly more, but overall nothing too new.

• Members

Ran Win7 on this netbook to test it out. Works great. Also ran it on a low-powered desktop, and it worked great. (Tested both 32/64.) Overall, Win7 is Vista. The only difference is driver + software already written for Vista, which means it'll work on Win7. Sure there's the new taskbar, and if you have lesser hardware it scales slightly more, but overall nothing too new.

So this means ez drummer and sonar vista drivers are going to work with windows 7? GIMP will work?

the only reason I've kind of wanted to wait until service pack 1 comes out is because I wanted to give everything time to make drivers for it.

Archived