New Penta Labs 12ax7/7025 ?!?

Guiary

• Members

Why don't you email Doug and let us know what he says
:thu:

Already done! Actually right before I posted this thread I emailed him:thu:

Just thought someone on here might have some inside information.

• Members

Already done! Actually right before I posted this thread I emailed him:thu:

Just thought someone on here might have some inside information.

They're still pretty new so if someone on here did have a go at these tubes and liked it, I'm sure we'd have seen a thread about it :lol:

• Members

Hmm the 12ax7m penta labs looks good. check this out

There is a huge thread on the gear page about these and basically what I understand from these they are very prone to being microphonic. It's stated not to use in V1 slot, so unless they fix the problem I'm staying clear from them.

Let me see if I can find TGP thread

Edit: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=438130&page=29

I think that was it

Oh and this:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=6390444&postcount=539

• Members

Speaking of pentas does anyone know where else you can still get older generation 12ax7? i.e. gen 6 or anything prior to gen8? Doug does not have them listed but I didn't know if he has em on hand and you just ask or what the dealio was.

• Members

There is a huge thread on the gear page about these and basically what I understand from these they are very prone to being microphonic. It's stated not to use in V1 slot, so unless they fix the problem I'm staying clear from them.

Edit:

I think that was it

Oh and this:

You are referring to the tubes made by TechTube in the old Mullard factory, right? I don't think those are the same as these new Penta's. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Members

You are referring to the tubes made by TechTube in the old Mullard factory, right? I don't think those are the same as these new Penta's. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

TechTube and Penta Labs are different

I was referring to that gearpage thread because ken361 had a link to the TechTube tubes in his post. Just in case he was wondering how the quality is on the new Tech Tube E813CCs

• Members

They are a whole new 12AX7. No relation to the Penta's or anything else really.

Shipped to the US 1 new 12AX7 TechTube is $70 rounded off.

• Members

TechTube and Penta Labs are different

I was referring to that gearpage thread because ken361 had a link to the TechTube tubes in his post. Just in case he was wondering how the quality is on the new Tech Tube E813CCs

Thanx for posting.:thu:

• Members

Edit:

I think that was it

Oh and this:

The first link posted is no good. You have another link to it?

• Members

The first link posted is no good. You have another link to it?

Some reason linking to the gear page does this.

Click on the second link and then look to the top right corner. Click that hyperlink and you're at the techtube thread. About page 36 or so is where other peoples results are

• Members

Ouch! How do those compare to NOS?

IMO NOS still reign but these are suppose to be better by a mile than any NP tube out there. Comparable to NOS but we will have to have some real world tests and use out of them to see. It would be only speculation and hype right now.

• Members

Some reason linking to the gear page does this.

Click on the second link and then look to the top right corner. Click that hyperlink and you're at the techtube thread. About page 32 or so is where other peoples results are

Ok. Will do. We are discussing these over at the Marshall forum as well.

• Members

Link? I want to hear as many results as possible, but from what I read so far it doesn't look promising.

No one has tried them yet there but we just started talking about them. I'll give you a link to the thread so you can mark it for any info you may want.

Beginning of NOS preamp thread:

http://www.marshallforum.com/marshall-amps/3824-preamp-tubes-who-what-when-where-why-how.html

Last couple of pages is where you should find us beginning to talk about it.

• Members

The new rubys are not new. they're new to doug but I've been using them in my amps for about a year now and they are incredible.

I think the AC7's are the best current production tubes on the market. They're super quiet, have been gigged with more times than I can count in 3 of my amps, have done equally as well in my tube mic preamp which stays on around 7 hours a day and they're inexpensive.

Jim from Cryoset was the first guy I could find that sold them. I found out about them after Adam Jone's (TOOL) guy from the Diezel service dept in Cali retubed our other guitarist's einstein with a set of the AC7's and the ruby el34B-STR's.

I got a set for the nitro and officially retired my NOS RCA's, Bugleboy and Mullards.

for high gain, yes they are that good IMO. for lower gain stuff, the NOS tubes still have a bit more going on in the mids and upper midrange as far as creaminess and sweetness but once it's at gigging volume or moderate to high gain, the differences are nearly impossible to hear even when A/B'ing a re-amped recording of the same amp, cab, etc.

and for what it's worth, After about 8 months of use out of one quartet of the AC7's, I retubed with a fresh set and noticed ZERO difference in clarity, punch, power, etc... the old ones were still as strong as the day I got them so they went back in and the new set went into some other amps.

• Members

The new rubys are not new. they're new to doug but I've been using them in my amps for about a year now and they are incredible.

I think the AC7's are the best current production tubes on the market. They're super quiet, have been gigged with more times than I can count in 3 of my amps, have done equally as well in my tube mic preamp which stays on around 7 hours a day and they're inexpensive.

Jim from Cryoset was the first guy I could find that sold them. I found out about them after Adam Jone's (TOOL) guy from the Diezel service dept in Cali retubed our other guitarist's einstein with a set of the AC7's and the ruby el34B-STR's.

I got a set for the nitro and officially retired my NOS RCA's, Bugleboy and Mullards.

for high gain, yes they are that good IMO. for lower gain stuff, the NOS tubes still have a bit more going on in the mids and upper midrange as far as creaminess and sweetness but once it's at gigging volume or moderate to high gain, the differences are nearly impossible to hear even when A/B'ing a re-amped recording of the same amp, cab, etc.

and for what it's worth, After about 8 months of use out of one quartet of the AC7's, I retubed with a fresh set and noticed ZERO difference in clarity, punch, power, etc... the old ones were still as strong as the day I got them so they went back in and the new set went into some other amps.

So whats the main differences between the AC5 AC7 and select and high grade?

I have an AC5 select which I assumed those were just good ole Shuguang C9, similar to the regular Penta Labs 12AX7

• Members

, similar to the regular Penta Labs 12AX7

Me too. They sound good too but these AC7's sound like they are worth trying. I don't really need high gain though and I like the dynamics of the NOS I have cause I usually play blues/rock.

• Members

I didn't notice any difference between them. I've got a few AC5's. Cryoset's website has them listed also as HG and HG+ variants...

maybe jim from cryoset has more insight.. or doug now that he's selling them. I'm guessing though that they're basically the best of the best chinese tubes.

Archived