Axe-Fx

The_Epiphany

• Members

Okay, this thing has givin' me so much GAS. I am now considering selling my Mark III and maybe my 4x12 cab to buy one and save up from there. The reason for this is because I am a bedroom player with no band. I jam with friends occasioanally, but thats very rarely. So, should I sell my rig and save for an Axe-Fx, and maybe get a cab/power amp later? Or keep my Mark III rig. I also forgot to note that I am a home recorder and my Mesa is very hard to record.

• Members

If you're dead set on an Axe-FX, hold onto the Mark III while saving up until you have enough to sell the Mark and buy the Axe-FX at the same time, so you don't have a "gap" period.

BTW if you're having trouble recording your Mark III you might want to talk to exafro; he gets great results recording his Mark III direct in using impulses.

• Members

Well, i'm recording a demo and I can't seem to find a band. If I didn't have to be, I wouldb't be a bedroom player. How accurate are the amp models, and will it sound as good as my mark?

You gotta ask the guys who own one. I don't need an Axe cos my current rig works just fine for me

• Members

I have had a Mark III. I currently have an AxeFx Standard. I do not miss the Mark III. I have also had the following amps.

Triaxis, Soldano SP II, Fender Concert, Gibson Goldtone, Trace Elliot Speed Twin, Fender Super Champ, Fender HRD Omega modded, Fuchs ODS, Bogner Duende

I do not miss any of them. The raging amp at Bedroom volume can be had with the Axe.

• Members

Depends really. For recording the Axe definitely is a brilliant little tool. I used to have a Mark III, then a Quad rig, and now I'm using the Axe. I'm also getting better Mark series type tones than I ever was before, simply due to a) being able to crank the simulated power section vs. not always being able to crank the real thing, and b) the flexibility of all the extra EQs, cabs, mics, etc. (and of course the amps' advanced parameters). Plus all the top-quality FX included in the Axe. To jam though you'll need a way to power it to band levels. And at that point you're starting to look at a fair bit of money if you have to buy an FRFR set up, or get a poweramp and a cab, etc. So it's really up to you whether or not it's worth it. :idk:

As Thinkpad said, I'd probably aim to be able to get rid of one at the same time as getting the other. It's not like the Axe is really going anywhere in a hurry. Cliff himself has said a new Axe-FX unit won't be happening for a while, as there's still plenty of room to work with the current hardware.

Oh, and also... if you do get one, get the Ultra. If nothing else, for the ability to laugh at zentman with his Standard. :o

• Members

The track record of the axefx speaks for itself.....I'm on day 6......I've been quite the amp whore for years.....this thing is quite incredible....the range and options of tones seem vast...I just discovered some new stuff on it even today after pouring over it for hours and hours this past week....I can see why people hold on to this thing...

• Members
The track record of the axefx speaks for itself.....I'm on day 6......I've been quite the amp whore for years.....this thing is quite incredible....the range and options of tones seem vast...
I just discovered some new stuff on it even today after pouring over it for hours and hours this past week
....I can see why people hold on to this thing...

:lol:

Dude... you're on day 6. The discovery process is practically endless. I've had mine for 6 months and am nowhere near knowing it inside out. Just consider all the possibilities you can imagine... and then consider the fact that there's probably a lot of stuff in there that you just haven't thought of or heard about yet. Chaining FX together to get different sounds, attaching internal controllers to FX parameters, etc.

I practically shat myself when someone posted up the link to the violin sound the other day. Never even occured to me something like that was possible. :thu:

• Members
Ok, you've convinced me. Now. Ultra or Standard?

As I said, get the Ultra, even if it's only so you can join us in mocking zentman. :wave:

Nah really, it depends on what you want to do with it. The Standard would cover a lot of users' needs, but there are certain FX that are absent from the Standard, and the Ultra can also run more instances of some things.

http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=Feature_comparison

Of course the Ultra also has more power in it, so you can run more in it at once. For some, this isn't really an issue, but if you want big dual amp and dual cab patches that have a bunch of FX in them, you probably need the Ultra. Of course different FX require different amounts of CPU power. A huge reverb sound is going to be a bigger hit on the CPU than a simple filter block.

The Ultra also has in it more potential for future upgrades.

In terms of what the Standard does have though, it's virtually identical to the Ultra. Just a few things like pitch tracking and reverb are a bit inferior apparently, but the amp algorithms and such are identical.

• Members

:lol:

Dude... you're on day 6. The discovery process is practically endless. I've had mine for 6 months and am nowhere near knowing it inside out. Just consider all the possibilities you can imagine... and then consider the fact that there's probably a lot of stuff in there that you just haven't thought of or heard about yet. Chaining FX together to get different sounds, attaching internal controllers to FX parameters, etc.

I practically shat myself when someone posted up the link to the violin sound the other day. Never even occured to me something like that was possible.
:thu:

Oh I know man it's ridiculous.....there were a couple of days that I dug myself into a tonal hole and just had to walk away from the thing...:lol:

But usually the day ends with alot of satisfaction and just curiosity of what I can achieve next. I don't even know what the {censored} an enhancer is and I was having loads of fun getting some wicked stereo panned dual amp setups going today. Sometimes I just have to stop tweaking and just play the thing for a minute.....I think I've saved like 10 different Uberschall and Soldano patches and keep micro managing them to death. :facepalm:

Another thing I've noticed now that I've gone on this anal retentive tonal crusade is listening to artist recordings. Just when I second guess the axe's authenticity I turn on a cd of a few bands and think "yeah I can get that sound with the axe.....or yeah I heard that 5150 tone today on the axe....or I think I can do better than that with the axe".....{censored}ing around with this thing has really sort of opened my discernment I guess...:idea::lol:

But yeah for sure I've only scratched the surface....I know that BIG time....BTW I'm only a lowly Standard user........I'm so deprived.....:lol:

Archived