Marshall Experts Needed!!

bigrob91

• Members

Ok i have a question.... Anybody here ever try or know alot about the Marshall JCM 800 2205? I found a halfstack for relatively cheap that is about an hour away, and i was wondering if anybody could give me any insight into what this amp sounds like. I play modern metal like LOG, Chimaira, COB, stuff like that. I will probably be boosting it with a maxon 808.

• Members

Depends if you like clipping diodes in your sound or not :poke:

No but seriously this amp gets a lot of {censored} for having a bit of SS distortion in there. I've never played one, but if you like the sound of it, buy it.

Oh yeah and it's also a channel switching amp

• Members

a JCM 800??? This is news to me

Yeah I know, it's kind of weird :freak:

For some reason when they made the channel switching version of the JCM800 they decided it would be a good idea to put clipping diodes in it :idk:

• Members

1000 with a marshall 1960 4x12 with v30s

Ug.

V30s?

That rig is gonna HONK like a mother{censored}er.

MIDZ Amp + MIDZ Speakers won't mix well.

See how much he'll sell just the amp for.

Thats a decent price, but FYI, its a 50 watter if that matters to you.

• Members

Ug.

V30s?

That rig is gonna HONK like a mother{censored}er.

MIDZ Amp + MIDZ Speakers won't mix well.

See how much he'll sell just the amp for.

Thats a decent price, but FYI, its a 50 watter if that matters to you.

My brothers DSL100 sounds rawk as {censored} with V30's :poke:

• Members

My brothers DSL100 sounds rawk as {censored} with V30's :poke:

So does my DSL. :poke:

Sounds even better with mixed speakers though. (prefer V30/H30).

However DSL and the JCM800 aren't the same amp.

I tried the 2210 through V30s, do not recommend.

• Members

If it is one of the later models (afaik post '85/'86 where they basically redesigned the circuit) it will sound very nicely provided you like the "old school" marshall tone. Fat.

What is more, the "normal" channel (i.e. NOT the drive channel) is pretty much like the older master volume Marshalls - not exactly but close enough for rock. Boost that and you should be in metal heaven.

• Members

Yeah I know, it's kind of weird
:freak:

For some reason when they made the channel switching version of the JCM800 they decided it would be a good idea to put clipping diodes in it
:idk:

And in 1986, they made the last revision of the head and it flat out smokes. :thu:

OP, if you get it, make sure it is 1986 or later. There are Marshall serial number references that explain the dating schemes. The clean channel sucks but the distortion channel kicks all kinds of ass.

• Members

The 100 watt version (2210) was my main gigging amp for a few years. When I used it I had V30's in my cab and it sounded pretty righteous. I still own it, and the front man for BCB uses it now. Its a damn fine sounding amp though not quite as wide sounding as a JMP. However, it cuts through the mix like a knife. In fact sometimes my Superbass has a tough time cutting over it when Im playing lead in BCB.

• Members

And in 1986, they made the last revision of the head and it flat out smokes.
:thu:

OP, if you get it, make sure it is 1986 or later. There are Marshall serial number references that explain the dating schemes. The clean channel sucks but the distortion channel kicks all kinds of ass.

How many times does this have to be said:

There is no "clean" channel on the 05/10 series.

It is called the "normal" channel and gets you some serious tube drive similar to the hallowed 04/03 series. This is the channel you want to boost, in case you are that sort of person.

In the 80's Marshall didn't try to include "clean" channels in their amps. They were smart then :D

• Members

I have a '89 2205 that I've loved for a long time. Cut's through eceptionally well in a band setting and truly the LOUDEST 50 watt amp on the planet. Seriously.

HOWEVER I recently got a Splawn QR and find myself playing the Marshall less and less.

• Members

"clean" channel on the 05/10 series.

It is called the "normal" channel and gets you some serious tube drive similar to the hallowed 04/03 series. This is the channel you want to boost, in case you are that sort of person.

In the 80's Marshall didn't try to include "clean" channels in their amps. They were smart then
:D

It may be called the "normal" channel, but it certainly does not break up like a 2204 or 2203. The only reason why it got even remotely there was because of piss poor design: There is massive bleed through from the distortion channel.

I simply beg to differ. :idk:

• Members

you can push the "normal" channel pretty hard with a Maxon or Od and it you can get it to crunch pretty nicely. 2203/04 nice ? That's debatable but certainly a usable sound.

The "bleed" is easily fixed by any techy worth of his soldering iron.

• Members

It may be called the "normal" channel, but it certainly does not break up like a 2204 or 2203. The only reason why it got even remotely there was because of piss poor design: There is massive bleed through from the distortion channel.

I simply beg to differ.
:idk:

Bleed through?

Never had that on my '87 - but that is what the earlier models were accused of having, but i don't know about that. Never owned one of the early models.

All i know is that a "normal" Marshall channel in the 80's had overdrive - because that is what was normal for Marshalls then.

And nobody in their right mind would buy a Marshall if they intended to play clean tones.

The New thing for Marshall was the "boost" channel (in fact just that it had more than one channel was a novelty for Marshall) which employed diodes (tastefully IMO) to get even more drive from it.

On mine the overdrive on the "normal" channel went into hard rock territory - think AC/DC BiB tones - with the gain at about 3-4 o'clock.

EDIT : BTW, note that i have not claimed the normal channel to be the exact same as a 2203/04 - it is just similar, being a Marshall and all, but obviously it has a different tone stack with no mid control.

Archived