Can someone help me identify this LTD

JnBroadbent

• Members

post a pic of the headstock.

a decent one.

Based on the inlay, I'd say it's an early LTD, back before they had the letter/number designations...Well, in this case, it would have been an M, but when LTD first started, the models had the same names as the ESP versions, so an Eclipse was an Eclipse, a Horizon was a Horizon.

If the truss rod cover says "by ESP", that just reinforces the idea that it's an early model (like, '95-'97). It could actually be a great guitar, and feel VERY similar to the Japanese bolt-on standard of the same model.

Early LTD's were modeled after the bolt-on late 90's standards of the same name. The woods and hardware were of arguable better quality then todays LTD's (well, except for the 1000's and sigs), at least on the TOM guitars. I don't know what kind of trem is on that M. Pickups were cheap, though. My late 90's, early model Eclipse sounds and feels right up there with my '97 ESP Eclipse. Killer guitar.

If you were to clean it up and give it a nice setup, it could potentially be a great geet...May need some new p/ups, though.

• Members

early LTD's had only "LTD" on the 12th fret inlay, again, just like the bolt-on ESP standards of that era (well, they had "ESP", but you know what I mean).

the truss rod cover should say "by ESP" in silver. If it says it in gold, then it is a few years newer than the early ones, and may in fact have been designated as a 100 or 200 series.

Early LTD's were just 1 model per body style (again, like the ESP standards of the time), no 100, 200, 300, etc.

• Members

Hey thinks for all the information. It plays all right, neck is sorta thick.

The truss rod cover does infact say ESP.

The trem says ESP by the bar then it says "made by scheller, germany" on it which leads me to believe it might be a decent licensed part. Who knows.

Like 100 bucks with the case or something.

Does it say "ESP" or "by ESP". Early LTD's had "by ESP" on the TRC...At least all the ones I've ever seen have.

The farthest I can date them back is 1996. for 96, the M model looked more like a Lynch, banana headstock, non angled neck p/up, 1 vol. For '97, the MII I believe had a single vol, angled neck, bridge HB, like yours. When '98 came around, that's when ESP started giving the number designations to the guitars...So there was an M 100 and M 200...Both had volume and tone, and 2 HB's IIRC.

So I'd say this is a '97 LTD MII. I could be wrong, but I've done a lot of reading up and comparing of old LTD's. I'm a fanboy of late 90's ESP bolt-ons, and the LTD's from the same era are REAL close to the more expensive ESP variants, so I've become a fan of them as well.

I'd be interested in buying this if I could see better pics and it cleaned up.

• Members

Does it say "ESP" or "by ESP". Early LTD's had "by ESP" on the TRC...At least all the ones I've ever seen have.

The farthest I can date them back is 1996. for 96, the M model looked more like a Lynch, banana headstock, non angled neck p/up, 1 vol. For '97, the MII I believe had a single vol, angled neck, bridge HB, like yours. When '98 came around, that's when ESP started giving the number designations to the guitars...So there was an M 100 and M 200...Both had volume and tone, and 2 HB's IIRC.

So I'd say this is a '97 LTD MII. I could be wrong, but I've done a lot of reading up and comparing of old LTD's. I'm a fanboy of late 90's ESP bolt-ons, and the LTD's from the same era are REAL close to the more expensive ESP variants, so I've become a fan of them as well.

I'd be interested in buying this if I could see better pics and it cleaned up.

It says by ESP.

It's literally exact as this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ESP-MII-2-Japan-1st-Edition-LTD-Rare-Guitar-Custom_W0QQitemZ250457664239QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3a5070aaef&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A13|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

(might have to login, it's a completed listing)

But it's not nearly in such good condition. The body is fair, light scratches (there were stickers all over it so some of the residue is still there, that's why it looks a bit dull in the pictures)

But alot of the bolts are rusty, the paint on the headstock looks like it's about to start flaking. Neck is sorta dirty from garage jamming i'd assume.

Archived