Lookin' for con-crit: "Saw My Baby and the Devil"

blue2blue

• Members

Oh MAN, I LOVE THIS SONG! *swoon*

I love the instruments, the cool bassline, the guitar sound...that floaty, dreamy one, kinda retro-sounding, you know?

I love the vocals...they remind me of...I don't know...at first they reminded me of the "devil" in a Frank Zappa song...I think it's called Titties & Beer...

This song should be known. By people. More than just here. *brain broken by love of song*

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just gave the newest mix a couple of passes with headphones......

You definitely have this mix working now. Everything is in its place and there is a perfect place for everything. I know that we don't spend a whole lot of time discussing mix technique, but this song underlines how important a well massaged mix is to a song's life.

The way the horns step in and out with authority, the clarity of the electric guitar, the subtle wash of the piano........all of these incremental improvements helped influence me to hit the replay button.

.......love how you changed the cowbell up a bit occasionally (1:55 under the organ, for instance). I'm going to listen again just to hear that little bit of tweakage.

And this time that image of a 'rising Nashville star' got a hold of me.:cool:

Yeah....you nailed this one.

• Members

Just gave the newest mix a couple of passes with headphones......

You definitely have this mix working now. Everything is in its place and there is a perfect place for everything. I know that we don't spend a whole lot of time discussing mix technique, but this song underlines how important a well massaged mix is to a song's life.

The way the horns step in and out with authority, the clarity of the electric guitar, the subtle wash of the piano........all of these incremental improvements helped influence me to hit the replay button.

.......love how you changed the cowbell up a bit occasionally (1:55 under the organ, for instance). I'm going to listen again just to hear that little bit of tweakage.

And this time that image of a 'rising Nashville star' got a hold of me.
:cool:

Yeah....you nailed this one.

I found tinkering the mix was much less daunting than actually getting busy and fixing the song.

Maybe I was hoping that if the song was around long enough that the lyrics, like an old building or an aging prostitute would gain a certain charm...

Gracie, I'm glad you liked it!

I have to say that I'm not at the point where every time I listen the vocals sound just that much more painfully out of tune in more and more places. But if it's working for you, I'll put that on my mental scoreboard, too. ;)

Robbie, I don't even think you had to tell us that "Titties and Beer" was two of your favorite songs.

I think we got you sussed, babe. :D

• Members

I discovered your work with this song a few days ago on your Youtube channel, without dropping by at this forum (the world is so small) and I liked it a lot. Lyrics, arrangements, sound, melody, everything sounds great to my ears and I listened to this song several times. I do have one criticism though and it concerns your vocal, because I

• Members

Good analysis, Viktoriah, I had the same impression when I was done. But, like so many singers, and especially songwriters, I have a love/hate relationship with my voice, light on the love side, typically :D -- so I was kinda happy to be someone else for a while. ;)

Eventually -- I got really burned out on this thing trying to get it in shape for Hallowe'en (and, thanks, guys, your feedback was enormously helpful) -- I'll get back around to rewriting this to deal with some of the issues above and hopefully re-cut the vocals, probably a little closer to home -- certainly with less of what seem to be overt Jaggerisms. (Although I wouldn't mind capturing more of that Van Morrison magic, if I could get it in the Astral Weeks kinda feel.)

• Members

Blue2blue...

Great idea and concept for the song.
I think you capture the intensity of the message quite well.
Your voice fits the beat and the beat is sweet, and its ripe
with those brass licks I really like!

A couple things I noticed (constructive crit below) :)

The intro doesn't seem to fit with the song.

The "devil caught (up with) me at a party" line's a bit rough.

"Your heart may belong to your baby
but your baby's soul belongs 2 me" (it sounds like this could work?)
Just a suggestion.

Regarding the intro slide with the organ, I love it. (@1:50)
Right after I lose the bluesy rhythm for a few seconds. (until 1:54)

When you do that 3 note arpeggio (It starts at 2:00)
I would have liked to have heard you go up an octave for
a touch more variation which would transition perfectly with
the incoming chorus:thu:

This song is pretty awesome and all the pieces
come together, I can't wait until you're done with it!

• Members

Thanks, John. Believe it or not, as you can probably tell from the (printed) lyrics, the 'party' line wasn't supposed to have 'up with me' but it just snuck in there as I performed. I have a tendency to not want to mess around too much if I get something that's sort of a keeper. (Although now every time I hear this vocal, the pitchiness drives me nuts. So, it's keeper status is probably shaky in the long run. Hopefully before next Hallowe'en... ;) )

I'm not sure I can get away with sticking 'soul' in there. (I know, I know, I'm fearless about sticking in all kinds of other necessarily syncopated extra syllables.) Also, I think it's pretty clear that if the devil owns someone, just what that's all about. ;) As you can tell, I actually dropped down at the end, as that seemed to work for me when I was working that in. I'll have to experiment.

Thanks for your suggestions and thoughts -- all good ones! :)

Moving the organ arpeggio up is an interesting idea and I may explore that. It probably isn't something that leaps to my hand when I'm improvising. (I'm not really a keyboardist, and, indeed, I did some editing and quantizing to this part.)

Archived