Craiglist scam? Help

pizzahutgood

• Members

Hey, I posted a guitar amp for sale on craigslist that I have been having some trouble selling. A guy contacted me telling me he would buy it, but he said he was going to mail me a check. He said he lives In Illinois, but is moving to my area in a month. It sounds pretty sketchy, but I told him I would have to wait for the check to clear and he said that was ok. also, I won't have to ship it b/c someone can come pick it up.

This sounds totally weird, but Im just thinking how can I get ripped off if I wait to give him the amp until after I cash the check. Am I missing something?

• Members

craigslist + no cash = no deal

ease
;)

+1

I've been trying to sell a Jim Root tele the last couple weeks on Minneapolis, and I've gotten the same email from the NEAR same email address THREE TIMES asking the same question - "Is this available?", to which I kindly responded "This is the third time you've tried to scam me on this. Kiss my ass." F'in scammers...they can't even come up with a better story. :mad:

• Members

If he's willing to send you a check and then wait a month, it could be legit.

If it's a scam, it will take a week for your bank to figure out that the check is fake, but after that, you're golden.

Chances are, however, that he will have "accidentally" had the check made out for WAY more than the cost of the item, and will need the rest of the money RIGHT AWAY to cover his "moving costs". If that's the case, take the check at turn it in to your local cops.

• Members

Chances are, however, that he will have "accidentally" had the check made out for WAY more than the cost of the item, and will need the rest of the money RIGHT AWAY to cover his "moving costs".

+1. I'd be very wary... I'd expect the situation to fall right in among these scenarios.

• Members

Walk away. You said yourself, something doesn't feel right. Trust your instincts.

this right here.

If he has the money and you're not desperate to sell, tell him he can buy with cash in a month if it hasn't sold.

Unless your amp is a dumble, the guy shouldn't have any trouble finding another amp like yours when he moves to your area.

Archived