Having massive love affair with Amperex 12AX7s

Guiary

• Members

True enough, not all the swaps I make completely stand out enough to say ya that was a worth while swap. Hell I just will keep on rolling until I happen to luck out on a cool combination that sounds good to me.

Also I don't see how shutting an amp off, replacing the tubes and turning it back on would be more harmful than shutting off your amp after practice and turning it back on a later date. I leave it on standby the same length of time I normally would before playing and leave it on standby for a similar amount of time before shutting it down. Maybe I'm naive in thinking I'm doing no harm, but until I royally {censored} something up and send an Email to James asking what did I do wrong, I plan on doing things the way I've been doing it.

And you don't have to spend $40-50 per tube, there great deals on ebay, especially if the logo of a certain tube has been smudged.

Just saying that's all.

Now the power tubes, {censored} that too expensive for my blood!

You missed my point about the shutting down thing. I didn't say it was harmful. I meant that it isn't a fair A/B test. Hell I'll have issues with one start up to the next WITHOUT new tubes! "It didn't sound like that this morning!"

A true A/B switching test would be great...I know, HOW do you do that right? It'd be cool if there was some kind of device you could plug into the socket and use several different tubes. Just switch them over, instant objective A/B/C test.

Also...in earlier post, I said "20 bucks"...but I listened to mcr23, that rat bastid! :lol:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You missed my point about the shutting down thing. I didn't say it was harmful. I meant that it isn't a fair A/B test. Hell I'll have issues with one start up to the next WITHOUT new tubes! "It didn't sound like that this morning!"

A true A/B switching test would be great...I know, HOW do you do that right? It'd be cool if there was some kind of device you could plug into the socket and use several different tubes. Just switch them over, instant objective A/B/C test.

Also...in earlier post, I said "20 bucks"...but I listened to mcr23, that rat bastid!
:lol:

Ahhh I see :idea: sounds like you've got yourself a good invention.

• Members

Did someone say tOObz.................................
:snax:

000_0003-2.jpg

As stated before Blackburn Mullards from the 60's & 70's work well in Marshalls like my 78' JMP 2203, but some of the best sounding i have in that amp now are Amprex made in Holland for Hammond Organ.

Does Want :o

• Members

A lot of the modern high gain amps on this forum have identical channels.

Sorry I didn't explain that answer better.

BTW,

your twin reverb does have identical input preamps/EQ's on both channels.

Shut the verb off.

I did not think they were totally identical, but you do have at least a small point there. I have the same tubes in each slot and theycertainoly sound different to me....but I will certainly give it some consideration.

ON a side note....do you (or anybody!) think that a tube will act the same way in one amp as it does in another? In other words, will the tube impart the same characteristics in say...a Roccaforte as it would in a Crate Stealth?

I'm guessing not exactly....but how close?

Archived