WOT: Xbox 360 Red Ring of Death

swampfox99

• Members

Ok this is way off topic but here goes. My 12 year old son got an Xbox 360 Elite for Christmas. Well last night it gave the infamous Red Ring of Death as he calls it. Its showing a flashing red light in the lower right corner and its displaying the E 73 error. I called Xbox (Microsoft) and was told this isnt covered under warranty. I was invited to send it back along with another $120 for repair which I know will just be a refurbished unit. Any of you guys have any insights or info/advice about this?

• Members

Ok this is way off topic but here goes. My 12 year old son got an Xbox 360 Elite for Christmas. Well last night it gave the infamous Red Ring of Death as he calls it. Its showing a flashing red light in the lower right corner and its displaying the E 73 error. I called Xbox (Microsoft) and was told this isnt covered under warranty. I was invited to send it back along with another $120 for repair which I know will just be a refurbished unit. Any of you guys have any insights or info/advice about this?

This SHOULD be covered under warranty. Period. Call back and talk to a different rep. If you get the same "no help" response, ask to speak to a supervisor.

• Members

Honestly, I went through two 360s before finally calling it quits.

I started with a Premium model from the second batch that went out before Christmas, around 8 months went by and that one red ringed on me.

Luckily, I grabbed mine at Best Buy and picked up their product replacement plan for $60 bucks, so I was able to get a new one, and opted to spend the difference and get an Elite model.

Well, the Elite model also lasted a few months and the same EXACT thing happened. I was pissed off enough to where I went back in, (still had the product replacement plan) and picked up a PS3 Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle.

Haven't had a problem yet, and the PS3 is still going strong. Yeah, I had to sell off a bunch of games and accessories for the 360, but bottom line, I lost confidence in Microsoft after the Elite model, which supposedly fixed the manufacturing issues, went bad.

Just my 2 cents.

• Members
This SHOULD be covered under warranty. Period. Call back and talk to a different rep. If you get the same "no help" response, ask to speak to a supervisor.

this :mad::cop:

at least if it is not covered the supervisor should give you the total low down on it

• Members

im not even sure if this is thread is serious

I wouldn't be surprised if OP is a PS3 fanboy making up a fake story to trash xbox

I know that if my xbox RROD'd it is covered for 3 years under warranty, EVERY XBOX OWNER KNOWS THAT. HELL THEY EVEN SEND YOU A FREE SHIPPING KIT TO HAVE IT SHIPPED BACK TO THEM FOR FREE AND GIVE YOU A FREE MONTH OF XBOX LIVE.

• Members

im not even sure if this is thread is serious

I wouldn't be surprised if OP is a PS3 fanboy making up a fake story to trash xbox

I know that if my xbox RROD'd it is covered for 3 years under warranty, EVERY XBOX OWNER KNOWS THAT. HELL THEY EVEN SEND YOU A FREE SHIPPING KIT TO HAVE IT SHIPPED BACK TO THEM FOR FREE AND GIVE YOU A FREE MONTH OF XBOX LIVE.

Were on the same page here.

Guest Anonymous

I just had the same thing happen. Lower right quad lights up red and you get a E74 message. I called 1-800-4-MY-XBOX and set up a repair. They will set-up a warranty registration at that time if you did not already. I did not and was afraid they would charge me, but if you look on the back of your unit, there is a date--> less than 3 years old, problem fixed for free and they pay shipping. All you have to do is call and set up a return number which takes awhile on the phone, print a UPS ticket, package the XBOX and drop it off at UPS already to ship. Wait about 7 business days and it is back in your hands from the Texas plant.

I DID NOT KNOW I WOULD GET THIS FIXED FOR FREE so beware. If you have to pay, get it done, they installed new upgrades to my unit for free and really treat you good. When my unit broke I thought about getting a PS3 or Wii. The PS3 has about the same games as Xbox360, but less racing games which I like. The Wii is for little kids and seriously ghey, Nintendo really started to f*ck up big time after the SNES system.

All in all, get the f*cker fixed and don't fret.

• Members

I'm gonna skip the rest of the replies but this happened to me 2 weeks ago. I got the one red ring, error e73. It is covered for 3 years, they didn't ask for my reciept. I sent it out on a Thursday with the ups label they sent me. It was fixed on Saturday and they actually sent me a new unit, or at least new to me! It arrived on the following Thursday from ups, signed delivery. I even have the hdmi input on the back now, and they gave me a xbox gold 1 month membership.

So it all worked out pretty smoothly...

• Members

One light in the lower quad is not the rrod. Rrod is 3 red quads lit

Archived