Tell me about the Framus Dragon

Beasleyboy

• Members

So I am potentially trading my triple rectifier that I picked up a couple weeks ago for a Framus Dragon. The rectifier sounds really good whenever I crank it but I'm just not really digging the bass of it, so am looking for something with a tighter low end. I'm also starting to move to more mid-gain/clean sounds musically, but I'll still be playing some metal. So how does the Dragon compare to the triple recto? How do the cleans and mid-gain sounds compare to a mesa dc-10? Will the Dragon sound good through a rectifier 4x12? Does it take pedals well? Any other information would be useful

• Members

I have owned both. I like both.

The Recto gets a little more aggressive on its own, it is also voiced a little more modern sounding and gets more saturated.

The dragon is more of a hard rock amp with a fantastic clean channel, are really nice, semi-marshall sounding crunch channel, and a lead channel that is nice and fluid.

I preferred the Dragon when it was boosted for my tones. I prefer the cobra more though...

Both get fizzy if you're not carefull.

• Members

The Framus Dragon is hands down the worst amp I've ever owned and that's saying a lot because I've owned a lot of {censored} festivals.

It sounds like {censored} with a pedal and it sounds like {censored} without a pedal.

The inside of the Framus looked like a kid with down syndrome did all of the soldering.

If you want metal tones, just plug your guitar into a bees nest and it will sound better than a Dragon.

Cobra on the other hand, especially OblivionDC's Cobra sound {censored}ing killer.

• Members

I have owned both. I like both.

The Recto gets a little more aggressive on its own, it is also voiced a little more modern sounding and gets more saturated.

The dragon is more of a hard rock amp with a fantastic clean channel, are really nice, semi-marshall sounding crunch channel, and a lead channel that is nice and fluid.

I preferred the Dragon when it was boosted for my tones. I prefer the cobra more though...

Both get fizzy if you're not carefull.

Chris, my tech did what he called a " low volume clarity mod" on mine. Basically, the result was a totally non fizzy awesome bedroom tone. You'd have to hear it to believe it. I also think JerryP does a mod to (V5) that does this same exact thing. It makes the amp sooooo much more awesome and usable.

• Members

Chris, my tech did what he called a " low volume clarity mod" on mine. Basically, the result was a totally non fizzy awesome bedroom tone. You'd have to hear it to believe it. I also think JerryP does a mod to (V5) that does this same exact thing. It makes the amp sooooo much more awesome and usable.

Interesting, I would like to hear more about it. How does it affect the band level volume?

• Members

Interesting, I would like to hear more about it. How does it affect the band level volume?

This is harder for me to answer. I don't turn mine up a lot, especially to band volume. I have just twice since I got it back had the house to myself to really crank it. It seems to have removed a little bit of saturation through the volume band, but for the most part, left the amps "true" character intact. It is LOUD and POWERFUL. I currently have SED EL34's in it and I think they are the {censored} in this amp. I also put a Mullard RI in V1, Silver Dragons the rest of the way minus an older EHX 12ax7 balanced/matched/low gain in the PI position. Whatever it was I did, I'm leaving it alone. It sounds exactly like I always hoped for. (I still play my VH4 most though ;) )

• Members

The Framus Dragon is hands down the worst amp I've ever owned and that's saying a lot because I've owned a lot of {censored} festivals.

Cobra on the other hand, especially OblivionDC's Cobra sound {censored}ing killer.

That's very strange, because they are essentially the same amp with some minor tweaks between them. The gain stages of the Dragon and Cobra are identical with the exception of one resistor (which bleeds to ground). The Cobra has the mid notch switches and the Dragon doesn't. One capacitor is different between the EQ sections of the two amps. Beyond that, the schematics for the two amps are identical.

• Members

That's very strange, because they are essentially the same amp with some minor tweaks between them. The gain stages of the Dragon and Cobra are identical with the exception of one resistor (which bleeds to ground). The Cobra has the mid notch switches and the Dragon doesn't. One capacitor is different between the EQ sections of the two amps. Beyond that, the schematics for the two amps are identical.

They still sound very different.

I prefer the cobra a lot more actually.

• Members

It sounds like {censored} with a pedal and it sounds like {censored} without a pedal.

The inside of the Framus looked like a kid with down syndrome did all of the soldering.

If you want metal tones, just plug your guitar into a bees nest and it will sound better than a Dragon.

this

Archived