Shipping amps

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I have a Fender HRD that I am planning to sell soon. If I can get enough for it locally, then I'm going to sell it locally. But considering the crappy economy and combine that with the fact that locally people still don't have money after rebuilding from the Iowa floods and tornadoes last year, that seems doubtful.

First off, where would I get a box that would fix the thing? Other than seeing if the local guitar shop has one they'll give me, I don't have much idea.

Second, what packing material sound I use? No packing peanuts obviously. Perhaps stryofoam or bubble wrap?

Third, do I need to take the tubes out and package them separately?

Thanks.

• Members

Boxes and cardboard is everywhere. Furniture stores, aplliance, department, grocery stores, you name it. If the box is too big, cut it down. Too small make a larger one out of smaller boxes and packaging tape. Its pretty much common sense. I always cut extra "panels of cardboard too to slide into all surfaces between the amp and the box. Once again, common sense stuff. And to tighten it up in the box some wrappings of bubble wrap work well.

• Members

Do this.

Beat me to it.

To the OP...

Look in the yellow pages and find a place in your area that sells bulk cardboard boxes. They'll have sheets of cardboard laying around. Get a couple (3 if you're shipping a combo) and some wood glue and make your own box if you can't find a factory box as Doug said.

Making boxes is easy. Figure out what you want your inner dimensions to be and measure out your first side. leave about a 1/4 in gap for your crease and then measure your next side. Do this all the way around making sure to leave enough overlay to glue securely. Make it taller than it needs to be.

Lightly "score" the cardboard with a utility knife where you want a crease. Don't cut it, just score it and when you go to fold it support the cardboard all around that area and you'll end up with a nice straight bend.

Glue everything so the yahoo's at UPS or FedEX can't get your amp out without destroying the box. I shipped a set of speakers once and someone opened the box, dropped one of the speakers then re-taped the box and delivered it. Only after consultation with the buyer did I notice that the box had a bunch of tape on it that I didn't put there.

If you have any questions PM me.

• Members

I have a Fender HRD that I am planning to sell soon. If I can get enough for it locally, then I'm going to sell it locally. But considering the crappy economy and combine that with the fact that locally people still don't have money after rebuilding from the Iowa floods and tornadoes last year, that seems doubtful.

First off, where would I get a box that would fix the thing? Other than seeing if the local guitar shop has one they'll give me, I don't have much idea.

Second, what packing material sound I use? No packing peanuts obviously. Perhaps stryofoam or bubble wrap?

Third, do I need to take the tubes out and package them separately?

Thanks.

take a ride behind the stores at a local shopping center. if they don't have their cardboard bailed then they should have dumsters for cardboard to be recycled. if i don't have the right size box this is what i do. i have an amp to ship out and i went yesterday and found a dumpster stacked to the top.

it was a good time to stock up so i got about a half dozen nice sized boxes already broken down. now i can mix and match or build my own box from the ones i have.

another thing to look for are solid hard foam or cardboard for the corners of the box. sometimes i get lucky and find them in the dumpster with boxes. i also keep a bag at home filled with packing material that i saved from things

i have bought.

as far as tubes, i usually let that up to the person buying the amp. some people are not comfortable doing it themselves. if you do leave them in, you can get thin bubble wrap to go around them plus fill the inside of the

back of the amp with it so they can't move at all.

Archived