What amp has the TIGHEST, DRIEST distorted tone?

Lotus Feet

• Members

Herbert is pretty tight and dry, so I'm told.

I've always thought of VHTs being right up there, though.

Whoever told you that was trolling the {censored} out of you. The Herbert is retardedly saturated.

Also, what's up with this whole THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TIGHT ENOUGH {censored}. Why the {censored} even look at a tube amp? A solid state will get you a clinical super ultra tight tone for much cheaper. And I don't mean to knock on solid state amps, they're great for what they are for. The Ampeg VH140C and certain Randalls sound quite amazing, as well as other great solid state amps.. Just sucks that they get ignored when they'd fit the bill for these people that can't get enough tightness from tube amps.

• Members

Whoever told you that was trolling the {censored} out of you. The Herbert is retardedly saturated.

Also, what's up with this whole THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TIGHT ENOUGH {censored}. Why the {censored} even look at a tube amp? A solid state will get you a clinical super ultra tight tone for much cheaper. And I don't mean to knock on solid state amps, they're great for what they are for. The Ampeg VH140C and certain Randalls sound quite amazing, as well as other great solid state amps.. Just sucks that they get ignored when they'd fit the bill for these people that can't get enough tightness from tube amps.

I noticed your sig. How do you like the nailbomb in the MH1000 through the Herbert? I'm thinking of BKs again in my Horizon and was recommended a NB. I didn't like it in the LP though. Sounded alright in the PRS SC250.

• Members

I noticed your sig. How do you like the nailbomb in the MH1000 through the Herbert? I'm thinking of BKs again in my Horizon and was recommended a NB. I didn't like it in the LP though. Sounded alright in the PRS SC250.

It adds a great dimension to the inherent, slightly percussive nature of the Herbert. On that note, that is lost with the super-saturated, looser nature of the Warpig. Not to say that's a bad thing, in fact the Warpig is still my fave pickup for high-gain applications that I've ever played. Just sayin' that I can definitely see why someone would take one over the other. It's also super clear. Maybe not as clear as a cold sweat, but still very clear and bitey (moreso than the Warpig). Great note separation, not super chunky. It's recommended a lot because it's a very great balanced pickup that performs very well under a lot of applications, it's forte being high-gain modern sounds and maybe even hard rock. There is no real sacrifice with the Nailbomb that could be had with some other pickups that are more heavily geared towards a more specific sound.

• Members

Fryette Ultra Lead obviously. Still gassing for one.

My Mark IV comes close too.

Just to be clear. The ultralead and splawns are very dry. The Mark Series amps can be set up that dry or get much more saturated. They have the ablility to get over-saturated, where as the others can't.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived