oh write country music

cowboy logger

• Members

Hi, cowboy logger! Welcome to the Songwriting Forum!

A lot of my writing tends to find its way into a roots/country style. I don't really set out to write any one style, as a rule, mind you. It's more a matter of what I put into my head, musically, and what comes out. (That said, I put a lot of classical music in, too, and I'm certainly not writing any symphonies, for the most part. ;) )

I think some keys to country music are that ballads (story songs) play a big part, depending on what you think of as a story, anyhow. To my way of thinking, describing a situation in life is a story -- whereas a simple song of devotion, a love song, if you will, may not have much or any story elements.

Word play -- not necessarily the witticisms of trendy literati, mind you, but word play -- also has an important part in the country music tradition. Puns, turns of phrase, trick images, they all have a long history in 'modern' country music. (Less so, perhaps, in the folk ballads and Anglican hymns that helped influence the country music that came to commercial age in the 1920's and 1930's, which was, itself, heavily influenced by the pop writing of the Tin Pan Alley pop writers.)

Paradoxically, simplicity and directness are also important strains in country music. When Hank Williams wrote, "I'm so lonesome I could cry," that was pretty bold and direct. But he also does some very picturesque scene painting...

I

• Members

Most of what I write tends to be on a country slant but more of an "alt" or "outlaw" country level. At least that is the way I hear it in my head. And most of mine is from 1st person perspective.

Having said that I don't really think of todays main stream country music as country. More pop with a Nasville twist. If I want "radio" country I drift back to to 50's, 60's and 70's. Some of what I write sounds a lot like what i remember my grandparents listening to when I was growing up. George jones, Mearle Haggard, Hank Snow, Jim Reeves, Don Williams, etc.

Sad old songs with pedal steele leads. LOVE IT.

• Members

Conversational lines are very important in country songs...each line leads into the next as if you were having a conversation with someone...small town values America and respect would be topics as well as many other topics. Here is what Luke Bryan thinks country is...and isn't...

What Country Is

There's a house fly swimming in my sweet tea

Hey darlin' pass another Kerr jar to me

Butter drippin' off a biscuit, baby better take a bite

Cantaloupe thumps like it's finaly ripe

Box fan on a lawn chair suckin' in swamp air

That's what country is

Chorus

It ain't a rebel flag you bought at the mall

It's a hide away bed in an old horse stall

Two kids gettin' caught stealin' a Boone's farm kiss

It ain't a John Deere cap that's never fell in the cotton

It's a Jimmy Rodgers song that was long forgotten

It's homemade peach ice cream on sunburnt lips

That's what country is

When the sun starts slippin' from the delta sky

And the last scarecrow tucks in for the night

Make a fire throw a blanket on the sandy bank

'Bout an hour till we feel the first catfish yank

Barefoot cane pole wavin' at the riverboats

They when they're gone take a dip in the moon glow

That's what country is

Chorus

It ain't a jacked up truck that's never seen a pasture

It's cars pulling over for a no cab tractor

It's homemade peach ice cream on sunburnt lips

No, it can't be bought it's somethin' you're born with

That's what country is(x4)

• Members

One that i wrote in that George jones vein or at least the first verse-

Forever's Gone

There's a letter in the drawer

In the table by the bed that's

tattered and torn

and full of lies

And there's a heartache in the mirror

Where there use to be a man

before she left

and said goodbye

Chorus (only part I am at work and can't remember)

Forever's gone and she aint ever

Comin back again

She left and stole away my heart

• Members

Having said that I don't really think of todays main stream country music as country. More pop with a Nasville twist. If I want "radio" country I drift back to to 50's, 60's and 70's. Some of what I write sounds a lot like what i remember my grandparents listening to when I was growing up. George jones, Mearle Haggard, Hank Snow, Jim Reeves, Don Williams, etc.

I agree and like old school country better than modern but I've seen a fair amount of songwriters who are serious about writing country music but are writing songs like 30 years out of date. There's not a thing wrong with that but if I wanted to seriously pursue being a country music songwriter I'd study it's roots but focus on whats happening now.

Archived