Mesa/Boogie- Simul-Class 2:90 vs Recto 2:100

petejt

• Members

I've asked before about the Recto 2:100, but again it is extremely rare to find, at least for an affordable price, or secondhand.

I've seen the 2:90 a bit more available. How does it compare to the Recto 2:100? Even when engaging both Deep mode and Modern mode?

• Members

played both briefly in a shop quite a while ago. the 2:90 was a complete rig that belonged to one the shop guys, with triaxis gmajor and a bunch other {censored} in there. the recto was just recto recording pre into the power section. both were plugged into a standard recto cab.

in short, what I took away was that the recto was bold and stiff (mush like a 3ch recto, but perhaps more bold and less shrill) and the 2:90 had a lot more dynamics and smoother feel going on.

• Members

I like the 2:90 a LOT better than the 2:100. To me, the 2:100 seemed really sterile. Also, with the 2:90 you get simulclass.

Well I already have Simul-Class with my MarkIV (running 6L6 & EL34). I need something dark & ballsy to dovetail with the MarkIV's sound- which is tough-sounding already with a lot of bass but the emphasis is on the mids & treble.

I'd get (an old blackface) Recto but I need stereo.

• Members

May get more informative responses over at the Grailtone Mesa forum...

I did and only got one response so far..

Basically what it boils down to, is that I like the sound of an older Dual Rectifier poweramp. Because that particular cab WILL be running a stereo effect, I want that sound, or similar, in stereo. Also I need something that is smaller than an amp head, and 2U rackspace is a perfect size.

It's a strange sort of setup, as it will be "stereo within stereo"- a stereo cab that itself forms one side of a stereo pair setup. This stereo business is crucial.

The two poweramps that fit that category are the 2:90 and 2:100.

I am having a lot of difficulty finding a used 2:100. I have though found lots of 2:90 poweramps, as well as mono Recto amp heads.

If the 2:90 can replicate what the 2:100 can do (and thus what a Dual Recto can do, but in stereo), then I will buy it, since it is more available.

I know that the 2:90 has the Modern mode, just like the 2:100, but yet my main concern is getting the Orange/Vintage mode- that's what I preferred when using the Recto amp head. I will though re-try the Modern/Red mode, but still, if I can have the Orange/Vintage mode, then that would be perfect.

• Members

id probably go the 2:90 it sounded great through everything put through it i might get something similar to give my lucky 7 a bit of colour

Actually could you please bring your Recto over again tomorrow arvo? I want to try it again with the MarkIV, and go through everything writing it all down rather than just scribble on a scrap of paper. I'm sure it was the Orange mode I liked better. Orange = Vintage, right?

I can't find the 2:100 anywhere, so if the 2:90 does do the Orange/vintage sound of the Recto than that'd be fine. And NO WAY am I gonna buy the poweramp new from ProAudio or whoever, it costs way too much. Somehow the 2:90 seems more available, but I don't know if that's a good or bad thing..

• Members

I had the 20/20, 2:90 and still have the 2:100; I also had all 3 at the same time.

I have used them with a triaxis, Recto recording preamp, ADA MP1, and Engl 530.

The 20/20 was great, but didn't have the oomph I was looking for (though it was great for a single space unit).

I did really like the 2:90, but found I never ended up using any of the modes other than the modern (although I did use them for awhile, none of them really appealed to me other than the modern mode).

I like the 2:100 the best. It just seems to work better for me, with all those different preamps. It just has something that the others were missing.

Not sure what that is, but that is my opinion.

I would go for the 2:100 if you can find one.

• Members

I had the 20/20, 2:90 and still have the 2:100; I also had all 3 at the same time.

I have used them with a triaxis, Recto recording preamp, ADA MP1, and Engl 530.

The 20/20 was great, but didn't have the oomph I was looking for (though it was great for a single space unit).

I did really like the 2:90, but found I never ended up using any of the modes other than the modern (although I did use them for awhile, none of them really appealed to me other than the modern mode).

I like the 2:100 the best. It just seems to work better for me, with all those different preamps. It just has something that the others were missing.

Not sure what that is, but that is my opinion.

I would go for the 2:100 if you can find one.

I hope I can find a 2:100. I'm worried that the 2:90 would clash too much with the MarkIV, since it is also Simul-Class. I want something a little different to dovetail with the MarkIV's sound.

It'll be interesting because the MarkIV provides the preamp signal, and then gets amplified differently, one by the MarkIV's poweramp with its EQ & Simul-Class, and hopefully the 2:100 with a Recto-type poweramp with a parametric EQ on it with different settings.

But if I can't get a 2:100, hopefully a 2:90 or 50/50 or 2:50 can do a Recto poweramp Vintage Orange tone? with some adjustments?

• Members

Don't buy a 2:Fifty because it doesn't sound anything like 2:90. The 2:90 sounds huge, warm, 3D, natural etc but the 2:Fifty sounds so small compared to it, IMO.

What about the 50/50?

Would it replicate the 2:100/Recto poweramp sound? at least the Vintage/orange mode? With dark sounding valves and dark EQ settings?

Archived