Hey Linux guys!!!

MattACaster

• Members

I'd like to start using Ubuntu on my desktop at home but there is one feature that I need that is lacking which has stopped me so far...

I use Remote Desktop to connect to my machine at home to check email, calendar, torrents and other crap like that. I know you can use the VNC client in Ubuntu to do something similar but is there a way to get it to lock the screen while you are connected like Remote Desktop does?

• Members

So no one else can see what your doing?

Pretty much.

But I also have a bad habit of not disconnecting from my PC from my work computer which would leave that computer unlocked and I've had issues with my cats sleeping on my keyboard and doing weird {censored} when it's unlocked. :facepalm:

• Members

Basically you just connect to a different X port thank your primary X session. You know how the VNC has you type in host:screen number?

Your X session is usually on Screen number 0

Sooooo if you VNC into any other number your good to go. all private and {censored}. :)

• Members

Basically you just connect to a different X port thank your primary X session. You know how the VNC has you type in host:screen number?

Your X session is usually on Screen number 0

Sooooo if you VNC into any other number your good to go. all private and {censored}.
:)

Actually, no I don't...

All my VNC experience to this point has been with Windows machines.

• Members

So when you launch your VNC client in windows you'll have to type in hostname:vnc session number

ex: intranet:1

When you start VNC at the command line using vncserver you should see some stdout like this:

New 'X' desktop is intranet:1

Starting applications specified in /ballsack/.vnc/xstartup

Log file is /ballsack/.vnc/intranet:1.log

• Members

So when you launch your VNC client in windows you'll have to type in hostname:vnc session number

ex: intranet:1

When you start VNC at the command line using vncserver you should see some stdout like this:

New 'X' desktop is intranet:1

Starting applications specified in /ballsack/.vnc/xstartup

Log file is /ballsack/.vnc/intranet:1.log

Makes sense!

Thanks!

• Members

Dude, I'm your hero.

There's something like NoMachine / FreeNX. Can't tell exactly how it works, but it's bloody fast, beats VNC, and has settings to achieve the things you are asking for.

-edit: heres a quote-

FreeNX is a system that allows you to access your desktop from another machine over the Internet. You can use this to login graphically to your desktop from a remote location. One example of its use would be to have a FreeNX server set up on your home computer, and graphically logging in to the home computer from your work computer, using a FreeNX client.

It's Open Source, secure (SSH based), fast and versatile!

Note: Running FreeNX as server on Ubuntu with the free "NX Client for Windows" from NoMachine on a Windows workstation is working fine.

http://www.nomachine.com/select-package-server.php?id=1&ids=2

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX#NX Server Free Edition

On your server, you can either run FreeNX or the NoMachine Free server, the latter has a limitation of 2 sessions per server, the former might be somewhat harder to install, but follow the second link and do exactly as told. The Ubuntu community is more than ready to help, i presume.

Good Luck!

Archived