Trade my JCM 900 for a Traynor YCV 40 or 50?

Unreachable

• Members

Yea, just recently picked up a JCM 900 off my friend. Good amp, I guess, but someone on the forum said it used diode clipping, so that's why playing a distortion pedal with amp already dirty sounded like crap. I was considering trading this for a Traynor YCV 40 or 50 since these pop up on CL almost every week. Does the YCV line use diode clipping because it'll stop me from using an already dirty amp with another dirt pedal. Also, any pros and cons between the 40 and 50? I have tried the 40 before and really liked how loud it was since it lacked a Master Volume, but the 50 does have a Vintage 30 in it.

• Members

V30 is crap on the 50. I think it's fine in a 4x12...but on it's own it really flubs out when you try to crank it in a combo. And the 50 is probably the quietest 50 watt amp I have ever played. I shoved an EV 12L in there and the amp REALLY woke up, especially at high volumes.

It's a GENERAL rule for me that if you think you need pedals to shape your tone of a nice amp like the 900...it's just the wrong amp for you. I can understand a TRUE "boost"...like for solos and a small bit of shape. You could also be using too much gain on the amp...then kicking in too much gain.

Just not sure how you're using it right now, yer not saying. What settings, what pedal....too much missing information.

Why do you think not having a master volume makes it louder?

I'm sure there's a few other guys that canhelp ytou with your boost problem...but in the end...YOU have to decide if an amp is right for you...what you play...what kind of band you are in...how LOUD you play..what kind of venues, what kind of PA.

Like I said...more info might be helpful.

• Members

V30 is crap on the 50. I think it's fine in a 4x12...but on it's own it really flubs out when you try to crank it in a combo. And the 50 is probably the quietest 50 watt amp I have ever played. I shoved an EV 12L in there and the amp REALLY woke up, especially at high volumes.

It's a GENERAL rule for me that if you think you need pedals to shape your tone of a nice amp like the 900...it's just the wrong amp for you. I can understand a TRUE "boost"...like for solos and a small bit of shape. You could also be using too much gain on the amp...then kicking in too much gain.

Just not sure how you're using it right now, yer not saying. What settings, what pedal....too much missing information.

Why do you think not having a master volume makes it louder?

I'm sure there's a few other guys that canhelp ytou with your boost problem...but in the end...YOU have to decide if an amp is right for you...what you play...what kind of band you are in...how LOUD you play..what kind of venues, what kind of PA.

Like I said...more info might be helpful.

I tried having the amp already dirty and moving down the volume of my guitar, so I can use a nice clean rhythm channel, then turn up the volume for a nice crunch tone. I mostly use a Cool Cat Drive or a TS-9, but sometimes I use a Boss DS-2 for distortion. Amp sounds like a solid state in my situation, but to compensate, I just set the amp at clean, and use the Cool Cat to get my amp dirty, then I would stack on top of that if I want to get more gain. I know it's a general rule that I shouldn't be using pedals to shape my tone, but I kinda like it that way. If I can find a solution for the 900, then I would be fine, but as of now, just finding an option in case I want to trade. Thanks for the help though!

• Members

Yea, just recently picked up a JCM 900 off my friend.
Good amp, I guess, but someone on the forum said it used diode clipping
, so that's why playing a distortion pedal with amp already dirty sounded like crap. I was considering trading this for a Traynor YCV 40 or 50 since these pop up on CL almost every week. Does the YCV line use diode clipping because it'll stop me from using an already dirty amp with another dirt pedal. Also, any pros and cons between the 40 and 50? I have tried the 40 before and really liked how loud it was since it lacked a Master Volume, but the 50 does have a Vintage 30 in it.

You shouldn't base if you like an amp on the fact that it has diode clipping. That said...I would much rather have the 900. What kind of music do you play?

• Members

You shouldn't base if you like an amp on the fact that it has diode clipping. That said...I would much rather have the 900. What kind of music do you play?

Not totally hating it because it has diode clipping, but it's one of the biggest annoyances. I play a lot of Blues/Rock/Alternative

• Members

4501, the 1x12.

Not totally hating it because it has diode clipping, but it's one of the biggest annoyances. I play a lot of Blues/Rock/Alternative

I just don't understand how the diode clipping is "one of the biggest annoyances". All it's doing is adding more gain. This could be solved by turning it down, or not using the pedal.

Like someone else said. I've NEVER had luck running a distortion pedal over a gain channel. That said, I almost always use my OD808 to boost my amps. Sounds like you need to experiment with different ways of setting your EQ, pedal, and gain levels.

• Members

I just don't understand how the diode clipping is "one of the biggest annoyances". All it's doing is adding more gain. This could be solved by turning it down, or not using the pedal.

Like someone else said. I've NEVER had luck running a distortion pedal over a gain channel. That said, I almost always use my OD808 to boost my amps. Sounds like you need to experiment with different ways of setting your EQ, pedal, and gain levels.

I posted earlier about how I set up my rig and how I use it. It's just that sometimes when using a distortion or overdrive it'll sound like a solid state. Might not sound annoying, but it does to me.

• Members

I posted earlier about how I set up my rig and how I use it. It's just that sometimes when using a distortion or overdrive it'll sound like a solid state. Might not sound annoying, but it does to me.

Ok. Well then it is just the amp in general you are not liking. My only other solution to offer is to look into different tubes. Maybe some warmer power tubes and lower gain/cleaner preamp tubes.

I wasn't hating on you by the way...just trying to figure out what it is you dont like.

• Members

Vintage 30, I was thinking of replacing it with the stock one since I also got it and just trading it straight for a YCV 40, then replacing the speaker in that one.

Oh. Marshall amp, WITH a vintage 30, WHILE using a stompbox distortion...

I'd bet adjusting the EQ to compensate would make a huge difference.

do you say it sounds solid state because the tone is particularly harsh?

• Members

Ok. Well then it is just the amp in general you are not liking. My only other solution to offer is to look into different tubes. Maybe some warmer power tubes and lower gain/cleaner preamp tubes.

I wasn't hating on you by the way...just trying to figure out what it is you dont like.

Don't worry about it :wave: I was thinking of trying out new tubes since it is a used amp...

Archived